Macro buttons not working

Copper Contributor

Hi, when I try to run a macro using its buttons, the buttons do not respond, animate, or function. Often a box will hover above the button containing its text, and when I am able to click on the box the macro runs; however, the buttons themselves are completely non-responsive. I can run macros successfully from the quickaccess toolbar. 

19 Replies

@DeniceAP123 

Hi, I have exactly the same problem as this. Did you ever find a solution for this.

@Ramsay119I am also having this problem. I find that rebooting fixes it temporarily but then it comes back at unexpected times. I would like to determine what triggers the problem, but I haven't had much experience with this problem yet.

@DeniceAP123  I am having the same problem and I found that double clicking the button works.

@DeniceAP123 the buttons do not work when I have my two screens in extended display but when I change the display to duplicate it does work. It has something to do with the screen resolution from my understanding. Maybe you can try that... 

@jogin38, thanks this worked for me, disconnected laptop from dock and voila it works perfect. It also solved another Excel problem for me. When I print a chart that has been moved to a separate tab, it would only print about 2/3. When not docked it prints then entire chart.
Follow up, I am using a laptop with 2 monitors. The setup up is the monitors are at 100% scale and the laptop was at 150% (old eyes). When I change the laptop to match the monitors (100%) and restart everything works.

@DeniceAP123 

Hi, I am the founder of Easyribbonbuilder.com, which is a free product that allows users to quickly create custom ribbon tabs that save to the workbook itself.  This works differently to Excels customize ribbon tool which saves it to your profile and can cause problems.   

Give it a try and it should solve your problem.  Instructions are contained in the workbook itself.

@DeniceAP123 

Hi, when I try to run a macro using its buttons, the buttons do not respond, animate, or function. Often a box will hover above the button containing its text, and when I am able to click on the box the macro runs; however, the buttons themselves are completely non-responsive. I can run macros successfully from the quickaccess toolbar. 

I have the same problem, have you found a solution ?

Send your answer to h.k.devor@zonnet.nl or whattsapp +31621254976

Aynen ben de hiç bir makro butonum çalışmıyor. Office'i tamiri denedim yine olmadı. Microsoft çözüm üretene kadar aradan yıllar geçer. 2021 Hazirandayız.

Encountered the same problem.  I have macro buttons that will work when viewed on my external monitor but not when on the laptop monitor.  I'm guessing it's something to do with resolution, scaling and mapping of clickable zones not working right.  No idea what the fix is other than to use my external monitor for this workbook.

yes, my problem was solved. when I moved the excel windows to the first monitor. it is rediculous

we have same issue, the laptop in office with 2 extension monitor having issue with excel button and others with 1 extension monitor works fine.

thanks for sharing the tip, we will never link this issue with display setting myself.

we set all monitor with same scale (125%) and the button work again.

@DeniceAP123 

I have the same problem. Check security and 'macro enabled' all seem fine.
I unloaded 365 and reinstalled and it didn't fix the problem.
Also, the code behind the button is not there although the vba code is in my spreadsheet.
I think the button descriptor is gone. Maybe happened when I recompiled but not sure.
I'm at a loss of how to fix.
I need help.

@DeniceAP123THEY MAY ONLY WORK ON THE PRIMARY DISPLAY. I ran into this thread looking into issues with someone not being able to use the button macros. Just move excel to your primary display, kinda crazy.

@jogin38 - this solved the problem for me! Thank you :)
Absolutely right, even when I have extended screens, I just have to drag the file to the Laptop's screen and click on the buttons and it works.
I tried putting it back on the extended screen and it stops working immediately.

I have a slightly different variation. I have 4 buttons and only one decided to not work. I tried all of the other options, as I have  2 monitors and a docking station. 

If I run the macro manually it works, but not through the button.

I tried Removing the docking station, that did not help. I then thought to try and rename the macro, reassigned the new name to the button and it worked. Maybe some one technical can offer an explanation as to why this happens?

This worked for me too. Renaming the subroutine, reassigning the macro, then going back to the subroutine name I prefer solved my issue. I tried everything else mentioned in this thread but this is like a "reset"

@LTNguyen Yesterday I compiled a few macros which I try and name as close to what they do as possible. The problem with this is the name of the subroutine becomes very long and I noticed that the buttons were not responding but running the app from the code was still possible, I then reduced the name length by abbreviating words in the sub name and then I reallocated the button and it worked. what I have resorted in doing is, to create the sub name as short as possible but then commenting below the sub, describing what it does and where it is applicable in the workbook as well as, if the sub was working or not.