Linking data from Word to Excel

Copper Contributor

I am using MS Office Professional Plus 2019.  Apparently, during an update, I lost a function I use regularly and would like to get it back.  I have a blank form in a Word document that when filled out contains names, addresses and other information.  That information was linked to a blank form in Excel.  When I opened Excel, and hit "update" the data would automatically populate into the Excel form.  It no longer does. The blank Word form and the blank Excel form reside in a folder together.  I copy the folder as a new file and fill in the blanks of the Word document.  Selected blocks then populated in the Excel form that has the same information as the Word form.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

2 Replies

@J_ohn 

Open the Word document where the spreadsheet will display.

Open the Excel worksheet that contains the data you want to link to the Word document. In Excel, select and copy the range of cells you want to include. If you plan to insert more columns or rows into the worksheet, select the entire worksheet.

To select the entire worksheet, select the box located in the upper left corner at the juncture of the row numbers and column letters. 

In the Word document, position the cursor where you want to insert the linked table. Right-click and select Link & Use Destination Styles or Link & Keep Source Formatting under Paste Options. 

Keep Source Formatting uses the formatting from the Excel workbook. 

Your Excel data pastes directly into the Word document where the cursor was positioned. If changes are made to the source Excel file, the Word document updates with those changes automatically.

Hope this helps!

@Ronald_Peters 

Ron, thanks very much for taking the time for your response.  However, I'm trying to go the other way with the data.  I put data into empty boxes in a blank form in Word.  I then need to link Word and Excel together so that when I open a blank form in Excel and press update, the data (name, address, dates, etc.) populates into the blank boxes in Excel.  Hope this explains the process more clearly.  Thanks!!!