Keyboard shortcut to get a list of Excel sheets to select from

Copper Contributor

I have tried researching an answer to this question online in general and on this community board, but none that I found appear to apply to the Mac version of Excel 2019.

I am trying to find the keyboard shortcut that produces a list of all the Excel sheets in a given workbook from which I can select any sheet.  I have a particular workbook that has 75 sheets.  It is easy to go to the beginning or end of the workbook using the Command key, but I don't know how to produce the list of all the sheets.  Navigating to a sheet in the middle of the workbook is tedious.  It must be possible to do what I want since I hit some combination of keys by accident that resulted in the selectable list, but I am unable to recreate that keystroke combination.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have to offer.

5 Replies

@RSP123 

Hi, I haven't tried this on a MAC before but you may be able to modify the below macro to get what you want working...

1.  Create a macro (see below)

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
'Sub SheetMenu()
Application.CommandBars("Workbook tabs").ShowPopup
'End Sub
End Sub

2.  Assign shortcut key combination to run it. 

@Nauthstar 

Thanks for the suggestion.  I copied your algorithm into a Macro and get an error when I run it:

Run time error '28':

Out of stack space

I clicked to debug but can't identify the problem.

I'm not familiar with macros so don't know how I would edit this to make it work.

Try...

Sub SheetMenu()
Application.CommandBars("Workbook tabs").ShowPopup
End Sub

@Nauthstar 

Thanks again for your suggestion.  I didn't try it because I found the existing keyboard shortcut by trial and error.  To bring up the list of sheets in Excel 2019, one Control clicks in the arrow box on the lower left where there are arrows to move right and left in the sheets.  I  thought this was not working when I tried it before; it appears that, for a workbook that has a lot of sheets (like mine with 75), sometimes it takes a few seconds before the list appears.

If you hold the Ctrl key down whilst you click on the bottom Left (or Right) arrow, it will quickly take you to the first (or last) tab in your spreadsheet. Handy if you have lots & lots of tabs.