Keeping track of trip times

Copper Contributor

I drive for Uber as my only job and I'm trying to keep track of my trips on a spreadsheet. I've got formulas all set up for tracking miles, pay, fees, etc. but I'm having some difficulty figuring out a formula to track my time on trips. Basically, I need a way to input my time into my table and have to total time caculated in my TOTAL ROW at the bottom of said table. Any suggestions?

4 Replies

I imagine you're inserting two datas with the hour: once when you start your trip, and one when you finish it.

So let's say, travel 2 is from 02:40 PM to 3:20 PM and you have 2 columns (C and D) with this datas.

At first, you need to create a column E with the total time spent on the single trip (so it's D-C, in this case means 0:40).

Then if you use the SUM formula (or if you're using pivot table just add the total row at the end) and format the text as =TEXT(SUM(E2:E500);"[hh]:mm:ss") will show you the total amount of hours.

I attached what I thought. Obviously the yellow cells are at random, pls focus on the green ones.

I believe Uber returns each trip time, not necessary in =End-Start. But the question is why to use TEXT, IMHO applying elapsed time format [hh]:mm to the SUM is enough.

Uber gives me the elapsed time for each trip in hh:mm:ss 

For example, trip 1 is for 15 mins and 34 secs. I have a column in my table for trip time. I'm having the issue of how to format the column (how to enter the time into the table) and then what formula to use in the total row at the bottom of the table to add up all my travel time for the month.

I'm not sure if that makes sense or not. Thanks for any help!

Not sure I understand what's an issue her. If you have your times column formatted as [hh]:mm:ss you may enter each trip time as 0:15:34 for trip 1, etc. and for the SUM() it'll be like 149:23:14. Or you'd like to have in some other format?

Formula for the total could be SUM, SUMIFS, SUBTOTAL - depends on how your data is structured