SOLVED

Is it possible to keep space if you delete rows in Excel 2016?

Copper Contributor

Basically, what I want to do is, let's say, delete the rows from 6 to 10, but I want to keep that blank space so rows 5 and 11 don't get together

Is it possible to do this? if so, how?

Thanks

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Blake T Walsh (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi Alan

I'd suggest selecting the rows you want (ensuring it selects all cells in those rows across the spreadsheet) and then clicking onto Merge & Centre in the Home menu tab.

It will retain the rows and give you the buffer you seek.

merge and centre cells.png

You can also lock the cells above so it can't be edited by going to the Review menu tab and clicking onto Protect Sheet. The options you want are selected by default. Press OK.

merge and centre cells1.png

Off the top of my head I'm not sure of a way to do what you are specifically asking, but someone else here might have an idea.

Hope it helps and best wishes to you.

Cheers

Damien

Alan,

don't delete the rows but the content (and possibly the formatting).

Thanks! It did help me
Happy to help my friend.

All the best
Damien
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Blake T Walsh (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi Alan

I'd suggest selecting the rows you want (ensuring it selects all cells in those rows across the spreadsheet) and then clicking onto Merge & Centre in the Home menu tab.

It will retain the rows and give you the buffer you seek.

merge and centre cells.png

You can also lock the cells above so it can't be edited by going to the Review menu tab and clicking onto Protect Sheet. The options you want are selected by default. Press OK.

merge and centre cells1.png

Off the top of my head I'm not sure of a way to do what you are specifically asking, but someone else here might have an idea.

Hope it helps and best wishes to you.

Cheers

Damien

View solution in original post