Inserting multiple rows in between the existing data set

Brass Contributor

Hey

Can anyone tell me how to insert multiple alternating rows in the existing data set as some so the data needs to be sorted out and i have almost 17k rows that need to be inserted. So can anyone tell me some way of doing it quickly.

Regards,

Aditya

6 Replies

Hi Aditya,

Bit hard to say without knowing of what your data is. As an example, you may add helper column to your existing data as 1,3,5,...; add at the end you 17K of rows and give them index 2,4,6... After that sort all data based on this column. 

Use the Subtotal option from the Outline group on the Data Ribbon.

Use a column that has unique values.

Then Filter for those rows and Clear contents or edit as necessary

Hello,

I found a way to do it, i selected the rows in which i needed to add the alternate rows pasted it in another sheet, added a column gave numbers to it as 1,2,3 and autofilled it till last copied all the cell numbers in that column and again pasted the same numbers below them in that column. Then went on to sort and filter and selected A to Z filter it added the rows in between.

Then deleted the last column and copy pasted the required rows in the original sheet it worked quite well and was very easy to do.

Regards,

Aditya

Hi Aditya!

I'm just writing to say THANK YOU!!!  I've been looking for a solution to solve this problem and they all were so *complicated*!  Your solution is simple and elegant.  I am very grateful, indeed!

Lisannf

Hello,
I also wanted to address the same issue, but i did not understand the following:

'Then went on to sort and filter and selected A to Z filter it added the rows in between.'
@Adams011600 After selecting the rows go to the Sort and filter option and Select the A to Z filter option it will give you the inserted rows in between.

Regards,
Aditya