Input validation using linked lists of values

Copper Contributor

Can anyone suggest a way round this please:

I have a finance spreadsheet on which each row has to be attributed to a specific cost centre and nominal code.  I think the most user-friendly way of doing this would be to use the code description texts (the codes can be vlookuped later).  It is straightforward to do list validation on the cost centres, but for the nominals I would ideally have the validation list restricted to those items that exist under the chosen cost centre, rather than all possible nominals.  (For example, I don't want to be able to select 'Water Rates' nominal under 'Staff Costs' cost centre.

The info I have found so far suggests that I may be asking too much of Excel, but it sounds to me like a very helpful function so maybe I simply haven't found it yet?

Any suggestions, please?

2 Replies

@KH2019I suggested a solution earlier today to someone trying to do the same thing. Look at the last entry in this string. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Excel/EXCEL-URGENT-HELP/m-p/1006048

A very similar situation...

Finding what you’re looking for may become easier, if you attach your sample file.