SOLVED

Incorrect date format when using text to columns

Copper Contributor

I've got an issue when I am importing a text file and using the text to columns function where its not recoginsing the correct date format in one of the columns.  The text file is generated from a system that is based in North America so the date follows the mm/dd/yyyy format.  As I am in the UK I need it to be dd/mm/yyyy.  For some reason it is able to convert to the correct format for those dates where the day is less than or equal to 12 but when it goes over that it doesnt know what to do with it and just leaves it as text.  If one of my collegues in North America carries out the same process it converts them all ok, I'm thinking its a regonal thing but not sure where to start checking.  I've attached 2 files, one is the raw txt file, the other is after I import it to Excel.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to what the issue might be?

9 Replies

Hi Craig

On third step of the wuzard select correct date format for that column (US one in your case)

DateFormat.JPG

Hi Sergei - I've tried this method also but it still ends up with the same results.  It converst the ones with days less than or equal to 12 and ignores the rest !!  Very frustrating.

Craig, could you please attach text file (or part of it) from which you import?

Here you go....I've had to change the extension from TXT to csv as it wont let me upload a txt one.

best response confirmed by Craig Shankland (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Craig, it looks like due to time added to that field. If time is not important for you (i.e. it always 0:00:00) you may open csv file and Text to Columns last column with space separator, remove time only column after that.

Date01.JPG

Date02.JPG

See result attached. If the time is important will find somethin else.

Well it didnt work exactly the way that you thought it would but I've managed to find a solution.  Unfortunatley I havent been able to find the route cause of the problem so will have to carry out this work around every time I need to carry out the same action.  Thanks for your help Sergei.

Craig, you may use Power Query (Get&Transform in 2016). It picks you txt file up and transforms correctly if for this column you use Change type->Using locale transformation.

You need to adjust the query only once, perhaps add name of txt file as parameter. After that no additional operations.

Attached is how it looks like, "Import File.txt" for this sample is in the root of C:\

@Craig Shankland I had a similar issue. The dates were arranged from oldest to latest. Dates with days greater than 12 were formatted as text (mm-dd-yyyy) while those with days less than 12 were fomatted as dates (mm-dd-yyyy). I solved this by selecting "MDY" after checking the Date option in the Text to columns feature. This formatted the entire column as date with the format dd-mm-yyyy (UK format). Looking through the dataset after I solved this was how I got to know the dates were arranged from oldest to latest. I still don't understand why Excel behaves that way though.

Second Image shows the Date_converted column after I changed it to the Long date format.

I would advise you look through your dataset thoroughly before applying this solution.

Date_sol.jpgDate_sol2.jpg

I too faced the same issue. got resolved using power query
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Craig Shankland (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Craig, it looks like due to time added to that field. If time is not important for you (i.e. it always 0:00:00) you may open csv file and Text to Columns last column with space separator, remove time only column after that.

Date01.JPG

Date02.JPG

See result attached. If the time is important will find somethin else.

View solution in original post