I have to open an Excel file twice for it to actually open.

Copper Contributor

Good morning,

When I open an excel file, it opens excel, but does not open the actual file.  If I open a second excel file, it correctly opens it.  Essentially, I have to click an excel file twice of it to actually open.  I've tried to do some research, but couldn't find anything recent that made sense.

Thank you in advance,

Jarrett DeLorenzo

4 Replies

@JDeLorenzo 

Hi.  Did you happen to find a solution to this problem?

Thanks
Matt

@JDeLorenzo 

I have the same file both as an xlsm and xlsb, when I open the file, some process takes place then the Excel flash goes empty.  I double click the file name again and a recovery process takes place and I have two files on the screen, a "repaired" file and my original file working perfectly.   I have tried a "saveas" for the "repaired" file, but it behaves the same as the original when I open it.   I have searched for a way to correct whatever triggers this behavior, but don't know what it is.   This file uses classes for a binary tree to process the data in the sheets and create an ordered summary.

I have the same problem. Did you find a solution? @fjphillips38 

@mattgreen1971 I have the same problem. I right click the Excel (Office 2016) icon on the task bar (Window 10 Pro, 20H2) and a blank screen opens up. I repeat the process and it then Excel opens the wanted spreadsheet. I have tried all the given solutions and nothing seems to fix the problem.