Huge cell formatting issue - everything is suddenly formatted as"date"!

Copper Contributor

I badly need some advice. I have been working on the project for several months.  I have  two sheets with numeral and text information in them and a bunch of formulas running accross the two.  Alot of "sumifs", and some "index"+"match" and some "vlookup" to name a few.  I opened up my spreadsheet today and the formatting is entirely differnet than when I saved it. Here are the probelms: 1) Almos the every column of the spreadsheet is formated as a "date" which i am not using, and when ever I enter a new number it automatically formats it as a date even if i am entering the number into a cell that I have formated as a number.

2) it is reading "0s" as being the same category in my sumifs' and equaling a blank cell.  

3) It is also leaving invisible charaters in cells in supposedly blank cells when I try I tried to correct the issues by using find=replace to replace all the 0s with nothing or using an "IF" forumla.   additionally it would not let my search in anything but the formulas when I tried to do use the find/replace feature. 

4) the most annoynig part is that everything is reseting to "Date" so if I fix everything every new thing I do makes reformat every cell. what setting could i have hit or change to get it to o this more importantly how do I fix this formating. Please help me I am 99.5% done and have spent wat to much time on this project. 

2 Replies

You should provide us by some screenshots for your sheet, in order to diagnose it well.

But in general, you can completely covert all the cells in your sheet to general format,

go to left hand corner that located under the name box, then click on it, and press CTRL + SHIFT + ~ to return all the dates to its original numerical values.

Never seen that before

Can you share:

Exact Excel Version, Exact OS version, and Workbook (if possible) with repro. steps?

Thanks,

Olaf