SOLVED

How to remove phantom document links in Excel ?

Deleted
Not applicable

When I open my Excel file I get notified that a file, that is currently of no use and not intentionally linked in - cannot be found. The pop-up says:

"Sorry, we couldn't find <URL to file>. Is it possible it was moved, renamed or deleted?"

I have tried to use Edit Links... and even Break Link, but the error does not go away. 

Clearly, there is a reference to a file somewhere, but I cannot see where. Going to File/Data/Edit Links brings up the same file reference, but still no clue as to where they are embedded. I have used Name Manager to check for embedded references in names to no avail. Also no objects where it could hide. I have used the Find function to look for references in formulas and values...

Does anybody have a suggestion ?

UPDATE / SOLVED

I finally discovered that the document reference was hiding within a Data Validation reference. Excel does not provide much help in finding the cause....

7 Replies

Good job hunting that out!

Yes, very much so !

best response
Solution

That idea is under review from 2015, who knows how many more years it takes to implement. At the same time FINDLINK works fine for a long while.

Sergei,
This is the best tool I found for this. I have tried everything and this tool found the link in an object within minutes. I have wasted countless hours before this. Thanks!

@JStaunton 

That thanks to developers of this tool.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

That idea is under review from 2015, who knows how many more years it takes to implement. At the same time FINDLINK works fine for a long while.

View solution in original post