SOLVED

How to group Excel windows in just one button on the taskbar?

Copper Contributor

Hello guys.
I'm looking for, but I'm not finding the option to group the Excel windows in the taskbar.
Until the 2013 version, there was this option, which was in File> Advanced> Display, but in the 2016 version it simply disappeared !!
Could someone help solve the problem? I find this option very useful, and easy to switch between windows by CTRL + TAB.
Thanks for all.

5 Replies

Hi Eduardo,

this is more of a windows question rather than Excel question.

assuming that you have Windows 10 

right click on your taskbar and then click on taskbar setting then following window will open and then in the "Combine taskbar buttons"  dropdown select "Always Hide labels"

s.png

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/29280/windows-10-how-to-use-the-taskbar

It's not a windows problem, it's Excel itself.

note that I mentioned that in previous versions there was an option to group the windows in the taskbar (5, 10, 20 folders in only 1 button), which simply disappeared in the 2016 version.

repeating, it's not windows problem !!!

PS I use Windows 7, not 10.

can you try this in windows 7

taskbar.jpgProperties-6956.jpg

Sorry, the answer is not about my question.

The question is how to find the "Show all windows in the taskbar" option in the excel 2013 options.

In Excel 2007 there is this option so that all workbooks (individual spreadsheets and not spreadsheets inside a single spreadsheet) are displayed in the windows taskbar in just one icon.

Example:

When you open 10 different spreadsheets and when you use the Alt + tab shortcut, you will see 10 icons. That is, an icon for each of these worksheets.

With the "Show all windows in the taskbar" option unchecked, you only see 01 icon.

I hope I understand. And anyway thank you for the attention paid to the answer.

Still waiting for help on this topic and thank you.

Please try to understand what I say: It is not Windows problem, be it 10, 8, 7, Vista, 98, 95, 3.11 for workgroups. It's from excel.

It is clear? did you understand that it is not Windows setup? I will repeat .... It is not Windows problem, be it 10, 8, 7, Vista, 98, 95, 3.11 for workgroups. It's from excel.

Do I need to repeat it again ?? there it goes .. It's not Windows problem, be it 10, 8, 7, Vista, 98, 95, 3.11 for workgroups. It's from excel.

best response confirmed by Jamil Mohammad (Bronze Contributor)
Solution

Thanks for providing the screenshot. Now, I probably understood what you were referring to.

Starting Excel 2013 Microsoft changed the Multiple Document Interface (MDI) to a Single Document Interface (SDI).  You can see the confirmation of that in this link 

I know this must be frustrating to you and many other users who added their voice by voting to bring the MDI option back.  

There are currently 488 votes by users asking to bring that back, you can add yours here Excel User VOICE

I wish there was any workaround for this, but unless MSFT brings this feature back, there is no alternative.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jamil Mohammad (Bronze Contributor)
Solution

Thanks for providing the screenshot. Now, I probably understood what you were referring to.

Starting Excel 2013 Microsoft changed the Multiple Document Interface (MDI) to a Single Document Interface (SDI).  You can see the confirmation of that in this link 

I know this must be frustrating to you and many other users who added their voice by voting to bring the MDI option back.  

There are currently 488 votes by users asking to bring that back, you can add yours here Excel User VOICE

I wish there was any workaround for this, but unless MSFT brings this feature back, there is no alternative.

View solution in original post