How to formate the top X rows independly as a sheet header from the lower rows

Iron Contributor

I see various templates which show a header section at the top of the sheet which in formatted independently from the lower rows.  I would like to have a few cells in the "header" not tied to the formatting of the rows below.  How is this done

8 Replies
Not sure what you mean, but perhaps you are looking for the "Format as Table" functionality?

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

For example, when I open Excel, I can choose a template.  Several templates show a sheet header, with the rows and columns below.  The first template I see is one for Sales Invoice Tracker.  It has a section at the top which is formatted separately from the regular rows and columns below.  See image below.  I want this feature, where I can place cells independently from the formatting in the main row/column section.

You can (manually) format cells in any way you like using the tools on the start tab of the ribbon. I think that is precisely what was used to get the layout and appearance in that screen-shot.

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

I am sorry, but I don't see a Start tab in the ribbon or the Tools. Can you please clarify?

@wcstarks Apologies, it is the Home tab, in Dutch it is called Start.

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

Well, the Merge and Center feature is still associated with the formatting of the columns below.  It does not allow formatting independent of the columns other rows and columns.  It only allows one to merge two cells of the columns or rows.  I cannot move them around or change their horizontal sizes without affecting all the associated columns below.  So, there must be something else that is doing as shown in the image.

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

Never mind.  As I look at the Invoice form, I can see that they have probably just merged columns.

Exactly. Though I always recommend NOT to merge cells, but rather to use Center accross selection (from the format cells dialog, horizontal alignment dropdown)