How to change the style used to separate thousands or decimals on Office 365 Essentials

Copper Contributor

Dear Sirs,
I use dot instead of comma to separate the thousands in my country. In Excel from my Office 365 Essentials I could not find how to change this default. I can only activate or deactivate the comma for thousands.

8 Replies

You could try checking your system settings if you have admin rights - which you may not be able to change if controlled by your business. 

See attached picture...

I guess for Office 365 Business Essentials there are only Web applications (Excel Online), if so that's tenant admin shall change locale for OneDrive.

We have same problem here. in Germany it is 1.000,00 and not the english version 1,000.00 .
In local Windows 10 Clients , local Excel365 it is displayed correctly. If you open same file in Excel-Web, it is displayed in english form. 
Our Users (one-drive-data....) are all localized in Germany...so that does not help.

@HolgerKastern 

Hi, in England we had the same problem.  We have dates in Excel that are in English and if we upload to our users (in England) who use Excel for web, the dates are displayed in American format.

To change this, you have to log into your Office 365 WEB version of Excel and make the changes in the settings there.  The other issue we had was that our WEB version of Excel Office 365 was set up by our IT team who had locked ordinary users out from making such changes so, the option was 'Greyed-out' to us.  Systems had to make the changes as we didn't have the access to carry the change out.

Hope this helps.

@Nauthstar 

sounds good. but where in Excel do I make the changes, cannot a even settings section there

@HolgerKastern 

This fix won't work for everyone.  It's potentially problematic for multi-regional companies.  It's believed to be a MICROSOFT BUG - unless someone can come up with a working solution.

Basically, to change site settings, log into Office 365 as a site admin, go to OneDrive, click on the settings icon (gears), then site settings. In here under site administration you can change the regional settings.

1. Go to https://account.live.com and sign in with the account you use for SkyDrive
2. Go Overview -> Personal info
3. Change Home, Timezone etc to desired location. Change Work location, if required.

In the bottom left corner of the window (down by copyright yyyy Microsoft). Although it appears greyed out, you can click on the language setting and change it to your language choice, it should then keep those settings when you upload say, an English Excel sheet which is then opened on the web.
However, this is a GLOBAL SETTING which will effect all users - which is why it won't work for multiregional organisations - and also may not be something your business IT let you have access to!

You will need to check this in your Office Online drive to make sure your spreadsheet has not reverted back to US style formats for dates and numbers.

@Nauthstar 

many thanks for answering.

I tried out instantly.

Unluckily account.live.com seems to be unworking for business accounts (just private account).

-> so it does not help me.

Holger

@Nauthstar  - Your screenshot looks just like what I want... but I cannot work out how to get there!

In the English version of the Systeme Internationale (SI), we are required to use a non-breaking space to group thousands. Commas or points are not allowed.