How to Add a Cell Value to a Formula with a Single Click

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I've been using an old version of Excel on a Mac for years.  I recently downloaded the most recent version from Office 365.

In the past I could have a formula like =(C4+C8) and then I could click in the cell that has this formula and then click another cell to add another entry e.g. =(C4+C8+C14).  Now I have to type a '+' before clicking the cell I want to add.  Is there anyway to get the old functionality back?

Thanks.

Cheers.

1 Reply
Hi:

I don't have an old MAC with Excel but I do remember when you typed in (in many old spreadsheet) 23+14 and 37 would appear in the cell. Modern spreadsheet require you put an = sign or it will treat the entry as text ie show 23+14 as the result. Apparently your old spreadsheet would assume that the nest cell was to be added to entry but assume that you had a formula =c4+c8-c12 and you added a cell what would you expect to happen: + or - Its ambiguous. explicitly puting the action (+ or - or * or ** or?) solves that problem. It took me a while to get used to putting the = sign and I guess you will need to learn to put the + sign in. Sorry