SOLVED

How do you protect images from being moved in a protected worksheet

Copper Contributor

I have a worksheet with multiple images inserted.  I have locked all cells except a few that I want to allow editing.  These cells are several columns away from the images, and there are no associations between the cells and the images.  After I protect the worksheet, I find that the images can be dragged around on the worksheet.   Is there a way to lock the images so they cannot be modified or moved in a protected worksheet?

6 Replies
best response confirmed by Grahmfs13 (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi,

Please right-click the image and choose Size and Properties, then make sure that the Locked checkbox is checked.

Lock an image in Excel.png

@kardebar 

Hope that helps

Thanks for the reply.  As it turns out, the lock was checked on all my images already.  I finally figured out that when protecting the worksheet, examine the actions you will allow after it is protected.  Before entering a password, scroll to the very bottom and make sure the check is removed from "edit objects".  Funny how I have read about 30 responses on how to protect those images, but none of them bother to explain the nuances of the protect worksheet function.  I also found that headers and footers are not protected by worksheet protection methods.

@Haytham Amairah 

Glad to hear that the problem has been solved!

@kardebar 

@kardebar  Thank you. Even though this post is 3 years old it provided some very useful information.

@kardebar so What if I have slicers on the worksheet that are considered objects as well. Users will not be able to interact with the slicers of edit object is not checked.

does nothing, as with most microsoft features

@Haytham Amairah 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Grahmfs13 (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi,

Please right-click the image and choose Size and Properties, then make sure that the Locked checkbox is checked.

Lock an image in Excel.png

@kardebar 

Hope that helps

View solution in original post