How do I superimpose two MS Excel scatter plots?

Copper Contributor

I'm using Excel for Mac (v 16.15).  I have two CSV files -- each with "day" and "number of logins" columns.  Both CSV files have the same values for the "day" column.  I want to create a scatter plot with both sets of data in it.  How do I do that?  I know how to create a single scatter plot by selecting data from one sheet and then creating a chart with that data (Insert -> Chart -> X Y (Scatter)).  But I can't figure out how to merge the two graphs I've created, if that's indeed the way to do it.

3 Replies

Hi Dave,

You may copy data from your csv files into the workbook where you plot the graph; or import them https://support.office.com/en-us/article/import-data-from-a-csv-html-or-text-file-b62efe49-4d5b-4429... to make data updatable, let say into two separate sheets. Insert empty scatter chart, right click on it to select data and add series for each your data set

image.png

image.png

Hi, FOllowing the link you included, I tried to import both CSV files into the same sheet -- I assume this is how I would make the scatter plot.  When I went to import the second sheet (after following all the prompts and clicking "OK"), I got the error

The start of the destination range specified lies within an existing External Data Range.  Please choose another destination.

This is from step #6 on the link you sent.

Hi Dave,

That means what the range into which you tried to import second file overlaps the range into which first one was loaded. Try into another sheet first. If works, check carefully your ranges in the first sheet.