SOLVED

How do I link a cell to another sheet in the same workbook, allowing me to view the sheet?

Copper Contributor

I have a workbook containing a list of webpages in the first sheet. I want to be able to click on a cell and be directed to that sheet/tab, viewing the entire sheet, instead of clicking through a workbook with over 25 tabs. 

For example, in the attached screenshot, when clicking on the "Homepage content" cell in the first sheet/tab of workbook 1, it will take me to the "Homepage Content" sheet/tab in workbook 1, allowing me to view the entire sheet.

I tried using the hyperlink formula, =HYPERLINK('Homepage Content'!A1,"Homepage Content"), but it doesn't work and have looked through several google search results as well. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

6 Replies
best response confirmed by CristinaGRate (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hello,

You need to insert a shape into each of the sheet tabs and apply hyperlink to each of the inserted shapes.
Steps
1. In the Data sheet, Insert desired shape
2. Type in name inside the shape
3. Right click and select Link
4. Select Place in this Document
5. Under the Cell Reference, click on the Sheet tab you wanna link to (for this example, select Report)
Click OK
6. Click away to deselect the shape
7. In the Report sheet, insert desired shape
8. Name the shape as in step 2 above
9. Right-click and select Link
10 Select Place in this Document
11. Under the Cell Reference, select Data
Click OK.
12. Click away to deselect the shape

You're going to see a shape of hand whenever you hover the mouse to the shape. And when you click on Report Sheet tab shape, it will move you to the Data Sheet tab

You can do the same for other sheet tabs. This will make it easier to navigate from one sheet to another.

See the pictures attached

@Abiola1Awesome. It worked! Super thank you and much appreciated.  

Honoured to be of help, Cristina
You can right-click in any cell and from the menu select link, then select 'place in this document' in the window that opens, and there select the tab you want the link to go to. If there is no text in the cell Excel will insert a reference name for you, e.g., "'2019_Summary'!A1". You don't need text or an object in the cell. You can then copy/paste this to other sheets to provide the functionality there.

@Randy Birch Awesome! This worked and was a quicker and easier solution. Thanks! 

@CristinaGRate 

I only didn't catch why HYPERLINK doesn't work with you

image.png

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by CristinaGRate (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hello,

You need to insert a shape into each of the sheet tabs and apply hyperlink to each of the inserted shapes.
Steps
1. In the Data sheet, Insert desired shape
2. Type in name inside the shape
3. Right click and select Link
4. Select Place in this Document
5. Under the Cell Reference, click on the Sheet tab you wanna link to (for this example, select Report)
Click OK
6. Click away to deselect the shape
7. In the Report sheet, insert desired shape
8. Name the shape as in step 2 above
9. Right-click and select Link
10 Select Place in this Document
11. Under the Cell Reference, select Data
Click OK.
12. Click away to deselect the shape

You're going to see a shape of hand whenever you hover the mouse to the shape. And when you click on Report Sheet tab shape, it will move you to the Data Sheet tab

You can do the same for other sheet tabs. This will make it easier to navigate from one sheet to another.

See the pictures attached

View solution in original post