How do I import information from specific colimns from workbooks

Copper Contributor

Hello All,

I am trying to find a simple way to import information from specific columns from one workbook into another. Maybe I'm missing something in the interpretations when I'm reading the answers on the web, but none are working. What I want to do is this:

I import data into Excel from my online program at work, but there are SO many columns of info I don't need. So, I have been having to go through and delete each column until I have a working copy I can use. This can take as long as 15 minutes.

Isn't there a way I can simply import selected columns of information from the downloaded workbook into a master workbook already created with only the columns I need without selecting each separate "cell?"

Excel is the only program I have to work with and I just can't imagine it not being an easy process. I'm using Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013. I would appreciate any help I can get with this and thanks so much in advance!

2 Replies
Do you have the option to download and install the PowerQuery add-in?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39379
If yes, try the option to import from workbook. From there you can define which workbook, which worksheet and if you click Transform data you can subsequently delete all columns you do not need. These steps are then saved so in future all you need to do is press Refresh All.

@Jan Karel Pieterse Thank you so much! I will try that today and see if it works. I appreciate your help and wish me luck.