How do I delete unused rows and columns in Excel?

Copper Contributor

I am trying to create a single one page document in Excel without all the extra unused columns and rows.  I want to use this one page form to document specific data for a given day.  I know that it can be done because there are calendars and specific charts and sheets that I can select from, but I want to design one specifically for my tasks.  Is there a way to do that?  

5 Replies

@Evolushunn 

If you select a column, then Ctrl+Shift+RightArrow to select columns to the right.

Finally, right-click the heading and select 'Hide' from the dropdown menu.

If anyone has a slicker method, I would be interested to know.

Removing the grid by unchecking it on the View ribbon tab also improves the visual appearance.

@Evolushunn wrote:

I am trying to create a single one page document in Excel without all the extra unused columns and rows.  I want to use this one page form to document specific data for a given day.  I know that it can be done because there are calendars and specific charts and sheets that I can select from, but I want to design one specifically for my tasks.  Is there a way to do that?  

@Evolushunn 

@Peter Bartholomew Thank you Pete. I appreciate your help

@Peter Bartholomew wrote:

@Evolushunn 

If you select a column, then Ctrl+Shift+RightArrow to select columns to the right.

Finally, right-click the heading and select 'Hide' from the dropdown menu.

If anyone has a slicker method, I would be interested to know.

Removing the grid by unchecking it on the View ribbon tab also improves the visual appearance.

@Evolushunn @Peter Bartholomew @Lonnie82 Most templates simply turn off the grid lines and headings from the Page Layout / Sheet Options menu, which effectively hides the cells visually but they still exist in the sheet.  You can also lock the sheet with a password, and specify one or more areas that are still editable even when the sheet is locked by the password which essentially confines changes to your selected areas.