How can I count cells with numbers?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have a range of data that are formatted and wanted to know if there is a way to find the frequency/count for specific formatted ( by font or by fill color) cells along with the number inside the cell. Please see the excel sheet attached. I tried using a color-count VBA code but I am having trouble creating a condition where two criteria have to be met; 1) font/fill color 2) the number(s) (inside the cell) before beginning to count.  Overall, I am trying to compute the frequency of these numbers that are conditionally formatted. Any help will be much appreciated.

9 Replies

Hi John,

Perhaps you may use you conditional formatting rule formula

=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$E$325=OFFSET($A$1:$E$325,1,0)))

to count cells under the rule and

=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$E$325=OFFSET($A$1:$E$325,1,0))*(($A$1:$E$325=I3)))

for frequency

Hi Sergei,

The formula below worked great! Unfortunately, I cannot get it to work with a different conditionally formatted cells. I am now trying to find the frequency on numbers and cannot find a solution. Please see the excel attached. I will appreciate any help. 

Hi John,

Since your conditional formatting rule formula is

=A1+1=B1

the formula to calculate such pairs will be

=SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$E$108+1=OFFSET($A$1:$E$108,0,1))*(($A$1:$E$108=0+LEFT(H2,SEARCH(",",H2)-1))))

First multiplier emulates your conditional formatting rule formula. Second one selects concrete pair from your list. 0+ is needed to convert text returned by LEFT to number (could be VALUE())

Attached.

Hi Sergei,

I've tried the formula below and it works great for numbers but I am now wondering if it will work the same for other numbers? Please see the attachment.

Hi John,

That will be exactly the same, just add one more AND condition (in red)

=SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$E$108+1=OFFSET($A$1:$E$108,0,1))*($A$1:$E$108+2=OFFSET($A$1:$E$108,0,2))*(($A$1:$E$108=0+LEFT(H2,SEARCH(",",H2)-1))))

Hi Sergei,

I am wondering how can I modify the below equation:

=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$E$325=OFFSET($A$1:$E$325,1,0))*(($A$1:$E$325=I3)))

To make it count numbers that have been recycled in the previous row (current formula above only counts the below number but fails to count a recycled number that is not under it). I've managed to complete a conditional format that will highlight them in red but I cannot figure out on how to count the actual number of times the number was recycled given a data set. Please see the attached file.

Hi John,

To clarify - you count the numbers which are in next row in the same and next columns (34, 24 on screenshot), but not in previous columns (28), correct?

image.png

Hi Sergie,

I want to count any numbers that are in a given row (e.g., 28,39,20,34,14) that recycle into the next above row (e.g., 7,17,28,34,8) and to be able to plot the frequency of occurrence:

Numbers:        Freq:

28                    1

34                    1

7                      0

17                    0

Hi John,

I changed conditional formatting rule formula on

=COUNTIF(OFFSET(A2,-1,1-COLUMN(A2),,5),A2)

which applied starting from row #2, and the formula to calculate frequency

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MMULT(--($A$2:$E$325=$I3)+--(OFFSET($A$2:$E$325,-1,0)=$I3),{1;1;1;1;1})>1))