SOLVED

Highlighting a row based on the day of the week

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone! 

This is my first post in this forum and I just have a quick question.

Currently I have an excel document set up to highlight the next day's jobs by using "=$I9=TODAY()+1". However, when Friday comes around I would like to highlight Monday instead of not having anything highlighted. I tried messing around using the IF and Weekday functions, but I couldn't get it to work. I was using the IF/Weekday Functions in order to try and subtract days from the total (Friday - 4 = Monday etc)

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Christopher_P

7 Replies

@Christopher_P 

Hi Christopher,

Perhaps

=$I9=TODAY()+CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(TODAY(),2),1,1,1,1,3,2,1)

@Sergei Baklan 

Sergei,

I attempted to insert that into the sheet that I was using, and it only registered one out of six jobs that it should of highlighted, as well as a few rows that don't even have a date on them!

@Christopher_P 

I imitated it on this model

image.png

where A1 is instead of TODAY() - it works. How your data is structured?

@Sergei Baklan 

I have it set up in the I column as mm/dd/yyyy. There are empty rows between each entry so that it is easier for the owner to read.  Below is a screengrab from how I have the entries listed. The highlighting at the bottom was done by me as I was working on it, it does not relate to the issue. 

EDIT: I also have a higher priority rule already in place for the N/A rows, if that makes a differenceWorkdays.png

best response confirmed by Christopher_P (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Christopher_P ,

When it could be

=INDEX($I:$I,MATCH(TODAY()+CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(TODAY(),2),1,1,1,1,3,2,1),$I:$I,0))=$I1

See Sheet2 attached where A1 is instead of TODAY()

@Sergei Baklan 

It worked on your document, I copied it over to my work document, added =TODAY() in A1, and inserted the formula. The attached file is what happened - basically, it was highlighting the row below the date of tomorrow, instead of highlighting the actual date. 

EDIT: I changed the cell that it was referencing from I9 to I10 and it fixed itself! Thank you so much for your help!

@Christopher_P ,

So far so good, but better if you use I1 with INDEX(I:I,.. It doesn't matter what is in your first 8 cells. If your range (I:I) starts from first row, start comparing from first row as well.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Christopher_P (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Christopher_P ,

When it could be

=INDEX($I:$I,MATCH(TODAY()+CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(TODAY(),2),1,1,1,1,3,2,1),$I:$I,0))=$I1

See Sheet2 attached where A1 is instead of TODAY()

View solution in original post