Help! - Control -Alt- arrow keys not working to select multiple cells

Copper Contributor
I’m on a surface pro and the control alt arrow key combination has randomly stopped working to select multiple rows and columns-
Does anyone know the fix for this?
16 Replies
What I know is that it should be:
Ctrl+Shift+ArrowKey
That doesn’t work either.
That doesn’t work either. I’ve tried that to select all data right of A1 and down to the bottom of the csv file but it stops after selecting all populated cells to the right
You have to open your file in Excel, whereafter you execute the key combination.
Does it work if you disable your add-ins one-by-one?
I’ll try that and let you know
I don’t think I’m understanding you. Keep in mind I’ve done this function thousands of time before and now the keys are simply not working.
I do have the Excel file open - And I am executing these key functions after the file is open and I’m clicked on a cell.
I see. Perhaps, the culprit is one of the add-ins @Jan Karel Pieterse is referring to in his suggestion.
Unfortunately that didn’t work either
Unfortunately for whatever reason I’m not getting any option to disable those add-ons. It will show me what is disabled and what’s not but there is not an option to disable. I even had a friend who does IT look at that screenshot as I can’t post it here and they were puzzled by why I didn’t have an option to disable any ad ins. My guess is that’s going to be an administrative setting issue. Our company IT team is on vacation so at some point hopefully I’ll be able to get them to take a look at it.
I'm talking about the dialog that comes up when you click:
- File, Options, Add-ins tab
- Click Drop-down near bottom, select COM add-ins
- CLick Go... button.
Ok tried that- I disabled one by one and still no luck.
I’m wondering if a system restore might work
Does it work if you start Excel in safe mode (hold donw control key while Excel starts)?
Ok I figured it out- below is the fix :

1. Options
2. Advanced
3. Scroll all the way down
4. Look for lotus compatibility
5. Uncheck all boxes

Somehow one of my downloads decided to check these boxes which would not allow me to use shortcuts keys.

Thanks for all the help here everyone
Ok I figured it out- below is the fix :

1. Options
2. Advanced
3. Scroll all the way down
4. Look for lotus compatibility
5. Uncheck all boxes

Somehow one of my downloads decided to check these boxes which messed up my shortcut keys