Hardware usage of Excel 2016, supporting article or documention

Copper Contributor

Hi Team,

I just want to confirm if Excel 2016 was designed to only use one-core even the machine's CPU has multi-core capability (let's say, a quad-core cpu). We noticed it on our office while accessing a spreadsheets with a large bulk of calculations in it, where Excel is only maximizing one core (25% of CPU's capability), thus, affecting Excel

I'm was also able to read this article, however, from a different source: https://askleo.com/why_wont_my_program_use_more_than_25_of_the_cpu/

I'll be requesting for a supporting documentation, or if someone can enlighten me with this, that would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Russel

7 Replies

Since Excel 2007 Excel has multi core support. This option is in Options-->Advanced tab in the Formulas area. There is a checkbox to enable Excel to use all the cores available. And by default this option is selected. You need to check it if Excel uses only single core during calculations in your computer.

I have read some articles regarding the multi-core support for Excel, however, we already confirmed that this option was enabled (as default).

Maybe I just need to confirm:

1. How can I say or show to my bosses that Excel 2016 is already utilizing all/multi-cores? (that we might consider upgrading our hardware)

2. Or if not, are there any configuration recommended that I need to tick on our machines?

Thank you. 

well the performance difference is great compared to excel 2003. If you have you can install a copy of it and calculate the same file with both of them. Or if you have a heavily formulated excel table you can turn of the multicore and calculate the same sheet while measuring the time with a chronometer and then activate it and recalculate it again.

Is there anything like a GUI-based way to see this with Windows? Like in task manager? I really appreciate you taking time to respond on this @erol sinan zorlu 

you need a very big excel file with lots of array formula in it. 

I mean, an interface where we can see that Excel is really using multi-cores instead of 25% only of the potential of the hardware? We can test it with your suggestion earlier, however, it might be more convincing if the performance data of Excel will be shown in graphs or numbers.

maybe you can try to write a macro to display total calculation time. I never heard of a tool that shows exactly how much time it takes to calculate a data.