SOLVED

HOW TO: "If cell contains specific text then return specific text"

Iron Contributor

I'm trying to extract a bunch of specific text combinations from cells and present it in a new cell.

This formula seems to work for two variables but I can't add any more variables too it.

=IFERROR(IF(SEARCH("*Sales*",B3,1),"Sales"),IF(SEARCH("*Arch*",B3,1),"Architecture"))

The text I would be searching for would be:

Sales,

Arch,

Land,

ALL,

Contracts,

Construction

and possibly a couple more.

Is there a way to do this?

38 Replies

@Sergei Baklan 

I am looking for a formula to do the following. I believe it is an "IF", but not sure. I basically want a formula to return results based on the following:

If the cell with the number is <=50, then multiply by 2

If the cell with the number is >50, but <=100, then multiply by 1.75

If the cell with the number is >100, but <=200, then multiply by 1.50

I am trying to combine in one formula so that I can copy it all the way down the spreadsheet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

@Detlef Lewin  Thank you so much - I spent so long looking for this - it works perfectly!

=A1*IF(A1>200,1,IF(A1>100,1.5,IF(A1>50,1.75,2)))
or
=A1*LOOKUP(A1,{0,50.000001,100.000001,200.000001},{2,1.75,1.5,1})

@bengal1022 

@Sergei Baklan this is exactly what I`m looking for but excel gives me an error - attached. 

Could you please help? 

1.JPG

@Detlef Lewin This works perfectly in most situations and is super simple, so I want to thank you for providing this! I haven't seen this solution offered anywhere else! The only problem I sometimes run into is that this isn't an exact match, so if I have a list of text that has some of the same terms or letter combinations, it sometimes returns the wrong thing. Is there a way to make this exact match only?

@krisi042 

Could you please attache the file instead of screenshort.

@Sergei Baklan I really like your solution with nested formatting, though I was wondering if there is a way to efficiently do a few hundred words?

There must be a better option than typing in all the words

@Freek_Olivier 

I gave nested IF only to illustrate that is workable. Formula which @Detlef Lewin suggested shall work perfectly, especially on big ranges.

@Reuben I am working on a spreadsheet that contains macros. In column A, users input an 'X' to make that row active which then gets copied for an email. If the row does not contain an 'X', the row is hidden and not copied for an email. 

So what I am trying to accomplish: 

IF a range of cells don't contain an 'X', THEN display "general text message".

If none of the cells from A2 through A10 contain an 'X', then I want a message to be displayed in B1. However, if any of the cells from A2 though A10 contain an 'X', then B2 should not display a message.

If there is a way to accomplish this, is it possible to have the formula automatically adjust to a new range of cells, ie. if I were to add a row between A2 and A10.

I have a problemm where I need to filter out the state and district name from the address column and place the same in the adjoining column

State llist can be arranged as a range. But what would be the formula to use and how will it be used to math the address column 

@Detlef Lewin 

Hi was googling for a solution to the subject of above thread and found and used your solution,

[Key words in column F, returned text in column G, text to check in A1.

=LOOKUP(PI(),1/COUNTIF(A1,"*"&$F$1:$F$6&"*"),$G$1:$G$6) ]with 1 problem; the keyword found doesn't display.

using Excel 2010

would appreciate any help 

thanks!

@Sanduke 

Could you upload your file?

Is there an equivalent way to use this Excel logic in Power Query were the source list of text string is a table or another query?

@DMColleran 

Not sure what exactly you'd like to do, perhaps something like

= Table.SelectRows(
  #"Table To Filter" ,
  each List.Contains(
         #"Table With Filter"[ColumnWithValues],
         [ColumnOnWhichWeFilterSourceTable]
        )
)

@Sergei Baklan we have a data cleanliness issue, whereby a freeform field contains key information about each entry. Inside the freeform field are keywords which we want to pull out into a new column. The =LOOKUP(PI(),1/COUNIF(TargetCell,"*"&KeywordRange&"*"),KeywordRange) Formula works well in an Excel sheet, however our dataset is much larger and we will need to handle it in PQ or some other tool. Essentially we want perform the same operation as the above function but within PQ. 

I have attached a sample of the dataset, with tables showing the raw data and target keywords (INPUTS) as well as a sample output of cleaned data (OUTPUT). I achieved the example output by using a fuzzy match in PQ, but that is not necessarily a perfect resolution. Perhaps it works. 

Cheers,  

@DMColleran 

I' not sure how the table with keywords works. For example, keyword a is met in every word for several times. Thus simply try to reproduce what LOOKUP() do. Second part of your query, instead of fuzzy merging, is 

#"Lowercased Text" = Table.TransformColumns(
        #"Removed Columns",
        {{"Description", Text.Lower, type text}}
    ),
    KeywordsTable = CannaFormKeywords,
    #"Add Cannabis Form" = Table.AddColumn(
        #"Lowercased Text",
        "Cannabis Form",
        each
            let
                txt = [Description],
                lst = KeywordsTable[Keyword],
                out = KeywordsTable[Cannabis Form],
                transformed = List.Transform(
                    lst,
                    each
                        if Text.Contains(txt, _)
                        then out{List.PositionOf(lst,_)}
                        else null
                ),
            cleaned =
                List.Last(
                    List.RemoveNulls(
                        transformed
                    )
                )
            in
                cleaned),
    #"Remove source texts" = Table.SelectColumns(
        #"Add Cannabis Form",
        {"ID", "Date", "Cannabis Form"}
    )
in
    #"Remove source texts"

(see duplicated query). 

Result looks the same as with fuzzy match

image.png

@Sergei Baklan 

=IFERROR(INDEX($G$1:$G$6,AGGREGATE(15,3,SEARCH($G$1:$G$6,A1)*ROW($G$1:$G$6),1),1), "No Match")

* AGGREGATE can ignore error

@Willy Lau 

Sorry, I didn't catch what's that about. If about recent post, I'd prefer formula which @DMColleran used before

=LOOKUP(PI(),1/COUNTIF(TargetCell,"*"&KeywordRange&"*"),CannabisRange)

it works better than SEARCH() within AGGREGATE().

As for the concrete formula, it won't work for the sample from previous post, shall be adjusted.

@vijaykumar shetye 

I agree and your value add help me no end.  Thanks and keep up the great dialogue.