SOLVED

HELP, PLEASE! Excel on a Mac

Copper Contributor

I recently upgraded my computer to a new imac from the mac mini.  Some things changed in excel.  I create spreadsheets with multiple sheets in my work book.  The last page I use to keep a running total of each item that is listed on those pages.  Normally when I am creating my formula on that last page, I would create it by typing "=sum( " and then going back to sheet one and clicking on the cell I want.  After that, all I had to do was click on each sheet and it automatically knew to add the same cell on that page to the formula.  So I would create my formula quickly by clicking on each sheet like that until I got to the last page before my total page.  I can no longer do this on the imac.  I have to physically click on each sheet, then the cell I want, then the plus sign.  This causes more room for error and is very tedious considering my work load.  Is there a way to make it go back to letting me create the formula more efficiently?  Usually google is my go to, but I can't find anything to help!

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Raganash (Copper Contributor)
Solution
try this trick.

lets say you want to add all values from all sheets from Cell A2 then wherever you want the result. put there =SUM('*'!A2) and once you click enter. The '*' will change automatically to (From To Sheets reference) . If you want to only sum specific sheets, lets say that you want add A2 of all sheets that starts with name Quarter then you put formula like this =SUM('Quarter*'!A2)
so any sheet that starts with name Quarter will be in the range of the SUM. for example sheets Quarter 1, Quarter 2 and so on.

@Jamil Mohammad Thank you so much!!  I don't know why I wasn't able to find that formula but it sure did help me immensely!  Thank you!!!

@Raganash 

You are most welcome.  Thanks for the feedback.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Raganash (Copper Contributor)
Solution
try this trick.

lets say you want to add all values from all sheets from Cell A2 then wherever you want the result. put there =SUM('*'!A2) and once you click enter. The '*' will change automatically to (From To Sheets reference) . If you want to only sum specific sheets, lets say that you want add A2 of all sheets that starts with name Quarter then you put formula like this =SUM('Quarter*'!A2)
so any sheet that starts with name Quarter will be in the range of the SUM. for example sheets Quarter 1, Quarter 2 and so on.

View solution in original post