Formatting Outliers Across Different Units (time, percent, etc.)

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am looking to format a spreadsheet so that any outliers are highlighted. These don't necessarily need to be mathematical outliers, I'd be fine doing something like "1.5x above or below average." The goal is simply to take note of anything out of line with the other numbers within the column. The columns contain different units of measure (time, percent, etc.) so I am curious if I can create one formula that I can apply to the entire chart, or if I would need to use a different formula for each column. I will be recreating this one a regular basis, so the simpler the better.

I am new to excel formatting, but my thought was something along the lines of:

• Step One: Average the Column
  • Step Two: Create a range from 50% of average to 150%
  • Step Three: Highlight anything within the column that is outside of this range

and my hope is that by doing it this way the formula would work no matter what the format of the underlying data is in, whether percents or time.

I've attached an example of the report I am working with. Thank you for your help! 

Note: the report contains two columns (F & H) that are already averages. If the formula I described above is possible, this shouldn't change anything. 

1 Reply
You can use conditional formatting to highlight anything above or below 1.5 times the standard deviation.