Finding identical values in a different spreadsheet and copying over correlating values.

Copper Contributor

I am not intimately familiar with Excel, nor do I use it very often, so I apologize if my question is poorly phrased. 

I have two spreadsheets. Spreadsheet 1 has a full list of numerical codes in one column and a set of corresponding numbers in a different column. Spreadsheet 2 has a column containing a subset of the codes from Spreadsheet 1, though they are in a different order. Spreadsheet 2 also has a column that needs to be filled with the corresponding numbers from Spreadsheet 1. A method of doing so automatically would be greatly appreciated.

Spreadsheet 1                +                Spreadsheet 2         --->Function--->       Spreadsheet 2

1000      1                                          1005        x                                                 1005     2

1001      1                                          1004        x                                                 1004     1

1002      2                                          1001        x                                                 1001     1

1003      0                                      

1004      1

1005      2

Thanks.

3 Replies

@michaelask2019 

That could be like

=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$C:$C,MATCH(Sheet2!$B2,Sheet1!$B:$B,0)),"")

Similar if they are different workbooks, not sheets.

@Sergei Baklan 

Thank you for the response. Seeing the function has shown me just how little I know about Excel. Which portions of the function would be changed to match a specific spreadsheet? I'd imagine Sheet1 and Sheet2 are changed to the proper names, but what about $C or $B2? 

@michaelask2019 

B and C are columns in Sheet1 with your data, you may change any other ones, e.g. $A:$A instead of $B:$B

image.png

$B2 is the first cell in Sheet2 with your code

image.png

Formula against it in C2. If you drag cell C2 down, formula in C3 will be with $B3. Please check about absolute and relative references in Excel.