SOLVED

Find matching values in column cells and the sum of of the cells in the rows of each matching cell

Copper Contributor

I am at a complete loss on how to do this and I am hoping for some help. Probably easiest to demonstrate with two images below with a small set of hypothetical data. In the first image, you can see column A has duplicated values. The formula I hope to build is one that will find all values in column A that match and then add up all the values in Column B that correspond to the matching cells in Column A. For example, there are two cells in Column A that have a value of Jim McDaniel and values in Column B are 30 and 4 (sum of 34 for Jim McDaniel). 

Screenshot 2018-11-16 07.55.37.png

On a summary worksheet, I would like the results of the first worksheet to be displayed as per the example below. I'd like one row for each of the matching values from Column A from the first worksheet and then Column B would show the sum of the values from the corresponding values from Column B in the first worksheet. 

Screenshot 2018-11-16 07.55.51.png

Any and all help is MUCH APPRECIATED!!

7 Replies
best response confirmed by Bill McDavid (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Bill,

The easiest way to do this is by using the PivotTable as the below screenshot:

Summarize Data Using PivotTable.png

To learn more about PivotTables, please check out this link and this.

Hope that helps

This is SO helpful! Thank you! Here is a followup question. Do you know if there is a way to automatically delete from the first sheet the rows that have an aggregate value from Column B in the summary that have a value below a certain number? For example, if the threshold is "300" would it be possible to automatically delete the source data for Jim and Joe because their aggregated column B data is less than 300. I hope that makes sense. 

@Haytham Amairah wrote:

Hi Bill,

Hope that helps

Hi Bill,

You can easily filter out the aggregations that don't meet certain criteria as the below screenshot:

Summarize Data Using PivotTable #2.png

Regards,

Haytham

That is also helpful but I would ideally like to delete the source data. This is because in the end I need to go back to the source data and export 1 complete record (all fields from the source data) from each record shown on the filtered summary. Ideas?

You can't delete the records in the source table that its aggregation is less than a certain threshold unless you use a Macro/VBA solution which it could be difficult!

But I have a fairly good and easy workaround for this case.

Before you create the PivotTable, please create another column in the source table that contains this formula:

=IF(SUMIF($A$2:$A$9,A2,$B$2:$B$9)>300,TRUE,FALSE)

Summarize Data Using PivotTable #3.png 

Then filter out the FALSEs and copy the filtered table into a new worksheet as below:

Summarize Data Using PivotTable #4.png

After that, create a new PivotTable from the new source table as below:

Summarize Data Using PivotTable #5.png

Regards

@Haytham Amairah I am attempting to do something very similar but I am trying to match multiple columns/rows of data and bring back a sum.  Example below:  if A2-E2 match exactly A3-E3 then total the sum of those matching rows, which should come back as zero (8.2-8.2 or F2+F3).  I put this all in a pivot but need the zeros to not show.  I only need the unique row's sum, and the comment needs to show for each one.  I appreciate any ideas.  I have tried a calculated field in a pivot but it wont pull the comments. 

ClockLastFirstEventDateSumComment
358SmithJoeno show2/10/20218.2Test
358SmithJoeno show2/10/2021-8.2Test
358SmithJoeno report2/11/20218.2Test
456SmithTedno show02/01/20218.2Test
456SmithTedno report02/16/2021-8.2Test
456SmithTedno report02/16/20218.2Test
456SmithTedFMLA02/15/20218Test
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Bill McDavid (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Bill,

Hope that helps

View solution in original post