Filtered data in Excel online are visible for all users

Copper Contributor

Hi all!

Is it possible to see only my own filtered data in Excel Online? I mean when other users are working with the same book at that moment.

At the moment, when someone filtered data - every one who edit the same document will see the same filters. I would like to know is it possible to avoid this.

Thanks a lot for yours answers! Have a nice day!

14 Replies

I know what you mean, it seems odd that it doesn't work that way, but no there isn't a way to have private filters.

Hi Andrey,

This is not possible, and I don't think it will ever be possible!

Because the idea of collaboration and co-authoring requires synchronizing changes between users who are working on the same Excel workbook.

You cannot prevent other users from seeing your changes in the same workbook you're working on.

Best Regards

I'm sure this worked on 'shared' workbooks though? It's only the online version that doesn't seem to be able to do it.

Hi Philip,

This is including Excel for Desktop as well and even Excel for Android and iOS.

Please read this article for more information.

Regards

Hi Andrey,

Sorry, but it seems that the filter, in particular, can be excluded from the collaboration restrictions as this idea suggests.

Personal User Filters.png

Please vote to the idea as I did.

The good news is that the Excel team has recently updated the idea status to Planned.

Regards

Hi Haytham! It's a really good news, thanks a lot! I just voted!

As for a topic, i solved the problem as follows: divided data into several sheets. Users see only their sheet and do not see if another user has selected another sheet.

@Haytham Amairah 
In fact, it's possible. Due to the fact that this function has been in Google Sheets since 2017.

@Haytham AmairahI agree it is for collaboration, but I think you have missed the fact that there are different ways to collaborate. It might make sense for two people to edit the one record/row/column/cell sometimes, but in my experience the majority of Excel files edited by multiple users via SharePoint or o365 are edited in a way where different people edit different rows at the same time. It seems to be more the case that Excel files are created for multiple people to contribute such that it is the sum of edits from all users, not a collection of single edits that have each been agreed on by two or more people. Do you follow? E.g. you add data to rows 1,3,4,6,9, I add data to rows 2,5,7,8,10 etc...but we do not edit the SAME rows or cells...one file, multiple rows/cells, each row/cell edited by ONE person, not multiple people.

Having the ability to only locally filter an individual user's view would most definitely be welcome and useful, and I would bet money on that kind of editing (different people editing different rows/cells rather than collaboratively editing cells together) being what really happens for most of these shared Excel files.

It is possibile in google docs.

@Stevie_D 

Sheet Views in Excel shall work on Excel Online  

And this is still a problem despite Google doing it so beautifully!

@Haytham Amairah And the bad news is that it's still not in place.

@2mambo 

A workaround in excel sharepoint is "Sheet view" . Every user can select create his own sheet view to filter without this be visible to other user that are using default view or its own view.

Antonio131285_0-1616270854565.png

yeah, new to MS tools after a 5 year hiatus on Google tools. Really miss this private filter!