Filter for unique values or remove duplicate values not working

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to use the remove duplicate value function in Excel, but it isn't working for some reason. I know it should, I'm comparing a ship log to a company's log of shipments they paid for and over 3000 of the results should match up. I have removed outliers manually, but I would like this function to work for me because that's much simpler than digging through 3800+ results in each column to find and remove the outliers.

The only thing I could think would be causing the issue is the formatting is slightly different in columns? The if true function works when the outliers are removed and the orders are alphabetized, so the data clearly matches.

Anyone know why it would say there is no duplicate data?

5 Replies

@lidsmichelle 

If you mean numbers formatting - yes, 12 and 12.0 are considered as different. If texts - formatting doesn't matter. Perhaps you may submit small sample with few line of what doesn't work?

@Sergei Baklan It's just the orders side by side. There are outlying order numbers in our column (indicating not paid for), but also ones they paid for that aren't in our ship log, which is a whole other issue (lol).

@lidsmichelle 

I see no duplicates in any of these two columns

image.png

Or you mean to remove all records for which value in column A is equal to the value in column B?

@Sergei Baklan Yes, I mean that. I need to remove all the orders that match up, so I can hone in on the ones that do not match without doing it manually. 

@lidsmichelle 

You may create helper column with =A2=B2, drag this formula down till end of the range (or use Ctrl+D), filter the range by helper column on TRUE, delete all filtered records and clear filter from helper.