SOLVED

Extracting data from a list without duplicate (repeating entry)

Copper Contributor

Hi Community,

I need help with my template creation with regards to extracting data from another sheet with multiple criteria. I hope somebody could provide solution to my problem.

On the file attached, sheet2 contains the raw data and sheet1 serves as the summary.

My problem is on how to retrieve all the discipline, role, level, hourly rates without repetition due to different values in working hours, days, quantity.

Right now it retrieves all the entry as long as it is unique in terms of the whole row.

Excel query 1.PNG

Here is the snap shot of the summary but I would like to retrieve instead.Excel query 2.PNG

Basically it should retrieve only one entry for discipline, role, level and rate and calculate the rest for the hours, days and fee.

6 Replies

@MrNobody , you may do that by Power Query - remove names, group by columns which are not aggregated and sum the rest. Please see Sheet3 attached.

@Sergei Baklan 

Thanks for your reply

The problem is that users of the template are not familiar with Power Query or any advance stuff and could only do little editing i.e. filter, group, hide row/column, color format.

By the way, I thought of using codes to make it flexible but there is one problem I have

In the "Activity Fee" tab, how can I make it that, whatever the activity code I put, it will retrieve only the codes associated to that activity (with no duplicates) from the "Internal Calculation" tab.

Currently I found a formula that can retrieve only unique values but it is for the whole column, I wanted to add a criteria to it which is the activity code value above.

best response confirmed by MrNobody (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@MrNobody 

Hi,

In general what end user shall know about Power Query is how to use Refresh button. I guess they are not familiar with template formulas as well.

Anyway, to select unique items with additional filter could be like

=IFERROR(INDEX('Internal Calculation'!A$2:A$300,MATCH(1, INDEX(('Internal Calculation'!B$2:B$300=$C$2)*(COUNTIF(A$10:A10,'Internal Calculation'!A$2:A$300)=0),0),0)),"")

Please note, that's not an array formula. It's in Activity fee (2) sheet attached.

How do I create a post on this page?

@Anekapb , if that's a new topic please go to https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Excel/bd-p/ExcelGeneral and start new conversation.

If that's the same topic you already make a post here.

@Sergei Baklan

Thank you very much

It finally works !! 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by MrNobody (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@MrNobody 

Hi,

In general what end user shall know about Power Query is how to use Refresh button. I guess they are not familiar with template formulas as well.

Anyway, to select unique items with additional filter could be like

=IFERROR(INDEX('Internal Calculation'!A$2:A$300,MATCH(1, INDEX(('Internal Calculation'!B$2:B$300=$C$2)*(COUNTIF(A$10:A10,'Internal Calculation'!A$2:A$300)=0),0),0)),"")

Please note, that's not an array formula. It's in Activity fee (2) sheet attached.

View solution in original post