Home

Excel worksheet protection in Excel Online

Highlighted
Michael Bennett
New Contributor

Excel worksheet protection in Excel Online

Does worksheet protection work in Excel Online?  We have a workbook where we have set certain ranges for all users (Everyone) to be able to edit without password.  Enable protection on the worksheet and share the workbook in OneDrive.  Users open the Excel file in Excel Online and states range is protected. Users edit in Desktop Excel and they can edit the cells.  I tried to find relevant articles about if this is a limitation to Excel Online, but they are not clear.  Should ranges / sheet protection work in Excel Online, or is this a limitation?  Or are we doing something wrong?  

Found references:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/excel-online-service-description.aspx#Sheet protection

"When you share an Excel file with other users, you can protect a worksheet to help prevent it from being changed, and you can choose the actions that you allow the users of your worksheet to perform."

"Protected worksheets (not entire workbooks) can be viewed in a browser window in Excel Online."

Thanks,
3 Replies

Re: Excel worksheet protection in Excel Online

I see the same behaviour, and it is also the same when using an Excel file in MS Teams. @Michael Bennett, have you ever found a solution to this?

Best,

Alex

Hi Alexander, I have not resolved this issue and and no one else has responded to my post.  So no solution yet.

Thanks for the quick answer. It's a pity, since worksheet protection makes a lot of sense in collaborative editing/multi user editing.

@ Microsoft, any plan to fix this?

Best,

Alex

Related Conversations
Copy/paste no longer working in Excel
Jon Firooz in Excel on
65 Replies
EXCEL DO NOT SHOW GRAPH MAP CHART
Mark 777 in Excel on
47 Replies
Security Warning: Automatic update of links has been disabled.
Mark Adams in Excel on
6 Replies
2 Way Cells
Ryan Dolinar in Excel on
14 Replies
Office 2019 professional - Powerpivot
Guillaume Law in Excel on
2 Replies