Excel wont sort

Copper Contributor

Hi , for some reason my Mac excel has decided that it will not sort any data. Even a simple list wont sort and I do not know what I have done to suddenly experience this. I was trying different settings yesterday whilst looking for something and I fear that I may have inadvertently changed something.

Any ideas ? 

Thanks 

Justin

6 Replies

@justin365 

Perhaps som dumb questions, but what exactly are you trying to sort? And how? Is sorting not done at all or does it seem to be sorted incorrectly?

Perhaps you have leading spaces in your data or hidden (blank) rows in the range your are trying to sort.

Please upload some sample data. Am on a Mac myself since many years ago. Never came across this problem.

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

Thanks for the reply, I cannot share the actual data but here is a very simple example . I just put random numbers into a sheet and tried to sort them smallest to highest using the Sort function... this is what it did , basically nothing . It is the most simple function but for some reason it just isn't working ? 

clipboard_image_1.png

@justin365 

I assume you are going through the required steps to sort. I.e. select the range to be sorted and then select ascending or descending. Did sorting work previously? And since you say "random numbers", I assume that you keyed in these numbers yourself and that they are not based on a formula that contains RAND(). Just need to be sure about it. 

Yes , range selected and then descending / ascending and I typed those numbers in myself to show that even with the simplest of sorting functions it doesn't do anything anymore. It always worked before and still works on my windows machine with exactly the same file and procedure.

@justin365 

Don't have a solution for you. Sorry. consider to press the "smiley" in the top right of the Excel screen and send feedback to the Excel development team.

Screenshot 2019-12-12 at 11.24.02.png

Thanks , appreciate your time :)