Excel says "The file is corrupt and cannot be opened", but the file is not corrupted.

Copper Contributor

Excel says "The file is corrupt and cannot be opened", but the file is not corrupted - I opened it on another computer without any problem. It happens all the time with random files.

I'm using Excel 2016.

2 Replies

Doesn't seem anyone is interested in this discussion - but I also have the same problem.  The first time I try to open an Excel 2016 file it tells me it is corrupted and cannot be opened.  When first opening it only goes to "processing" and then the message.  I then close down the resulting blank excel sheet plus a "ghost" sheet Excel creates with nothing there, not even a grid.  Then I go and open the file a second time and everything opens ok.  This is on any file I try to open. 

Eventually sometime during the day Excel then locks up and I have to shut Excel down and start again.  Its very annoying, but doesn't seem to be solvable.  Trusted Sites does not solve this.  

I am seeing exactly the same thing...on one computer.  Just upgraded from a 32-bit installation to 64-bit, version 16.0.11001.20091.  Not critical but annoying.