SOLVED

Excel formula help

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

I am looking to find the easiest formula solution for the following.

I wish to check if table a5:a32 contains the word "MTD", if so, it takes data from a cell in the same row from column F and then sums it in a seperate cell.

so if i had 5 MTD, 5 values would be summed together and not include the rest of data in column F
eg.
MTD xxx xxx xxx xxx $50
MTD xxx xxx xxx xxx $20

MTD xxx xxx xxx xxx $10
XXX  xxx xxx xxx xxx $05
                        total $80

Thanks in advance

18 Replies
best response confirmed by Steven Elphick (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Steven

If I am understanding you right, try this formula:

=SUMIF(A2:A5,"MTD",B2:B5)

Change A to your desired column where the MTD text is located.

Change B to where the $ column is located.

Basically, this formula will do what you have asked.

I have also attached a sample file to demo the above for you to see it in action.

Let us know how you go?

Cheers

Damien

Thanks Damien,

Works exactly as requested. Thank you

Glad I could help, Steven.

Could you flag the answer as the best response so that other forum users will know what the solution is for their reference?

All the best
Damien

Hi Damien

I was looking for an answer which is exactly opp of this solution.Meaning I want to exclude any rows that contain the word "MTD" and not include in the sum total. How do I write that formula?

sumif(A1:A5, NOT "MTD", B1:B5)

Logic is as above but am not sure what syntax to use

Hi H S Desai

Try:

=SUMIF(A2:A5, "<>MTD",B2:B5)

<> means does not equal. Make sure it's in the " " as well.

Let me know how you go?

Cheers
Damien

got it works perfectly. Also tried the sumifs function to add more conditions to exclude. Thank you

Glad to help!

All the best
Damien

I am trying to do the same thing across a workbook for each month of the year. My formula is =SUMIF('M-4:SU-4'!C15,"CIP",'M-4:SU-4'!F15)

Each row is for an employee (15 is just one) M=Monday and SU=Sunday. CIP is job description (Construction in Progress), Column "F" is total hours for that day.
I am trying to pull the total hours of CIP for each week for each employee and when I put the above formula in I get a #Value! error. I double checked all cells for errors and everything looks fine. I don't know what I am missing. Thank you. Tammy

Hi Tammy

Could I suggest that you make a new post on this so we can look at it?

If possible, could you also upload a sample of the file for review?

Cheers
Damien

I am not sure why you cant get it?

Is this what you are trying to do?

SUMIF(C5:C9,"CIP",D5:D9)SUMIF(C5:C9,"CIP",D5:D9)

Maybe because you dont have the range of cells to add?

I'll upload the workbook :)

it is basically what I am trying to do.  I have uploaded the workbook.  I need to figure out how to get the total CIP per employee per week. 

Should I still make a new post?  I uploaded my workbook.

Hi Tammy

I've amended your worksheet with a formula that will do the trick.

Essentially the formula is just adding each worksheet and totals the value in your summary sheet (it's a simple formula given you only have 7 worksheets to calculate).

=SUMIF('M-4'!C3, "CIP", 'M-4'!F3)+SUMIF('T-4'!C3, "CIP", 'T-4'!F3)+SUMIF('W-4'!C3, "CIP", 'W-4'!F3)+SUMIF('TH-4'!C3, "CIP", 'TH-4'!F3)+SUMIF('F-4'!C3, "CIP", 'F-4'!F3)+SUMIF('S-4'!C3, "CIP", 'S-4'!F3)+SUMIF('SU-4'!C3, "CIP", 'SU-4'!F3)

Let us know how you go?

Cheers

Damien

Thank you Damien.  That is pretty simple.  I had seen some formulas with "indirect" and "sumproduct" and I am completely confused.  Simple is much better.  Thank you for your help.  I wish I could just sit with you all day and you share the knowledge.

Hi Tammy

Happy to help!

I'm a fairly simplistic user myself and look for the easiest answer that does the job. I also looked up sumproduct and indirect and got confused so just stuck to this.

Glad it's worked out!

All the best with your Excel!

Cheers
Damien
Learnt something new...nice to know how to do things simply
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Steven Elphick (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Steven

If I am understanding you right, try this formula:

=SUMIF(A2:A5,"MTD",B2:B5)

Change A to your desired column where the MTD text is located.

Change B to where the $ column is located.

Basically, this formula will do what you have asked.

I have also attached a sample file to demo the above for you to see it in action.

Let us know how you go?

Cheers

Damien

View solution in original post