Excel crashing when opening multiple files in Windows 1809 but same working with windows 1709

Copper Contributor

Hello,

Problem: Excel crashes, when I open several workbooks.

Operating system: Windows 10 Home, Version 1809

Computer: All the devices are of HP with 16GB RAM and 64-bit operating system

Memory: I have set the paging size to 2929MB (maximum recommended size).

Antivirus: Symantec, Version 14.0

Excel: 2016 MSO (16.0.4266.1001) 32-bit

Problem description: I have about 50 small workbooks, each with 11 simple sheets inside and a file size of about 83KB. These 50 workbooks are all linked into one workbook with a file size of less than 700KB. I start excel by opening the big workbook and then I try to open the remaining 50 small workbooks by using the excel command “Open” and selecting all of these 50 workbooks in one move. Excel then starts opening these small workbooks one by one and when Excel has opened approximately 34-35 of them it freezes and closes down. Then it starts automatically and tries to recover and repair these 34 to 35 workbooks, but fails and closes down by itself.

I have also tried to select and open these workbooks one by one, but the result is the same when I reach 34 to 35 open workbooks. The only difference is that Excel freezes and I have to end the excel process with the task manager.

On my desktop with an old Windows 10 (1709) operating system and an Excel version 2016 same version, I can open all of these workbooks without problems. ?

Would appreciate some help on this?

0 Replies