SOLVED

Excel changing cell format on combination of letters/numbers when letter "E" used.

Copper Contributor

Hello all, hope to get help..

When I type i.e. na06e1- or any combination such xxexx  (this is a location# on a shelf) it automatically changes the cell format from GENERAL to SCIENTIFIC and this number would appear -

6.00E+01

If I change the cell to general, it would change for the number 60. 

It happens anywhere in the spread sheet. Other combinations such as na06f1 would not be affected. Seems like the culprit is the "e" between other digits/letters. 

To solve, I need to manually change to text, then select ignore error. Annoying and time consuming, anyone with an idea to fix it?

5 Replies
I would suggest that you attach a sample for the people here at the forum to get a better view of your query.
thanks..
best response confirmed by agubert (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I have tried to type na06e1 in Excel,but it didn't change. I think your column has a format to change any combination to scientific. Please try to delete formats on the cells before inserting the data and then try to re-write the context.

Same here, i typed na06e1 and it was all good , but when i type for example 16E22 it changes to 

1,60E+23

@Amr Qmbz 

@ar_ma_armandss 

That's another story. By default in scientific notation numbers are shown as 0.00e+00. You may apply another custom number format if you wish.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by agubert (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I have tried to type na06e1 in Excel,but it didn't change. I think your column has a format to change any combination to scientific. Please try to delete formats on the cells before inserting the data and then try to re-write the context.

View solution in original post