Excel User Interface (UI) Freezing

Copper Contributor

Hello Excel Community,

I am reaching out because I have encountered an issue with an excel file and require some support on how to fix and resolve this problem.

The problem I am having is that the Excel user interface appears to be frozen for a specific Macro Enabled Worksheet (.xlsm). The file opens okay, but upon opening, everything is frozen including all excel options and buttons. The keyboard shortcuts do not appear to be working either. The file is 6.93 MB with a reasonable amount of conditional formatting / graphics content and macros.

I have read a few previous forum posts and it seems that I am not the only one to encounter this type of problem. Based on reading other people’s solutions, I have tried the following:

1. Running excel in safe mode
  2. Disabling all Excel Add-ins through options
  3. Disabling all COM Add-ins through Options
  4. Disabling macros through Options
  5. Installing Office updates
  6. Repairing Office
  7. Using the Excel “Open and Repair…” option

Unfortunately, none of these actions have been successful in resolving the problem.

I would greatly appreciate suggestions and help on how to resolve this issue.

Many Thanks, 

Stuart

P.S Here is some background information on the specification of my PC and Office / Excel Version:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7100U CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

System Type: x64-based PC

Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB

Excel: Microsoft Office 365 Subscription / 32-bit

Excel Version: 1903 / Build 11425.20244 / Click-to-Run

3 Replies
What happens if you try this at the end of your working day, open the file and then leave your PC working at it overnight? Does Excel come to life if you wait long enough? If you have access to someone with a different version of Excel, try if the file can be opened with that version.

Hi @Jan Karel Pieterse thank you for your suggestion, it is appreciated. I have tried both but unfortunately neither appears to have resolved the problem. The file did suddenly spring into life yesterday for 30 minutes when opening a PowerPoint presentation with links to the file, but subsequently froze again and still not working :\ 

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas :(