Excel Suddenly Crashing on Print Preview

Brass Contributor

Just now, Excel has started crashing when I utilize print preview mode. It was working fine yesterday. I click the print preview option and the sheet crashes. It happens on any spreadsheet, even a new page with a single character in the middle of the page. It crashes if I select any printer destination, whether a physical printer (Canon) or print to PDF.

I updated ITunes and iCloud today, but can’t imagine that would impact Excel. My Microsoft update history indicates the last patch was 5/22/18. The event error log gives this information:

Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 16.0.9330.2087, time stamp: 0x5b060fe4
Faulting module name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 16.0.9330.2087, time stamp: 0x5b060fe4

Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000a0a55
Faulting process id: 0x38c8

Faulting application start time: 0x01d3fa8e9729ef91

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE
Report Id: d348a382-c7df-4370-975c-0039abd0fa64
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I ran OffCat and it came back clean. It indicates that Excel 2016 is up to date. And I'm running Windows 10.  (I tried to attach the crash log but the web site gave me an error message "The contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type."  Nice.)

What happened and how do I fix this?

35 Replies

Still no word or change from MicroSoft.  Anyone else heard anything?

Hi Scott,

Just a quick idea, try holding Ctrl while you start Excel (launches in Safe Mode)

Check if the issue persists

If it's still a problem then try posting your issue on the Microsoft Support page
Like this...
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_other/excel-crashes-every-time...

Hi Wyn,

I tried the safe mode, but I can't find "Print preview."  There's no printer icon at all, and the one under the "File" tab doesn't offer preview.  Did I miss it?

According to my settings, windows is managing my default printer, but it doesn't matter what printer I choose, Excel crashes under preview in both.  I really just have a Canon and Adobe PDF as the only selections i ever utilize.

Apologies Scott,

I didn't realise the icons disappear in Safe Mode.  

I was thinking you could access Print Preview via the expand icon (as shown) but that just gives you the File > Print Preview option

image.png

One last suggestion from me...

Goto Settings > System -> Display.
Select the recommended resolution for display.
Down below, there is an option – Graphics Settings
Select Universal App.
then select My Office

I did what you suggested and now My Office is listed as "System Default."  There is no change in my issue.

Has anyone found a fix for this? I have tried pretty much everything in this thread plus a couple things and had no luck. I have narrowed it down a little, it works fine if i log in, but crashes for my user. since it is windows 10 rebuilding the profile isn't as easy as it was with prior versions of windows. here are the things i have tried:

Repair office

different printers, including print to PDF, a copier and a laser jet

disabled add ins

new video driver

uninstall 32 bit and reinstall 64 Bit

Made sure Office is up to date

Disable hardware graphics acceleratioon

All to no avail. i'd rather not rebuild her profile, as she has a lot of customization.  Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

I have been dealing with the exact same problem since the last office update.  Then when the crashed file opens up, all the columns on all the sheets are very narrow, so I have to reformat every sheet.  Very time-consuming.

Helllllooooo,

Where is MicroSoft?  I need a solution here, as do others.

Hi Scott
Someone else was having an issue and it seems to be related to their printer driver (although you did say that print to PDF was having the same effect)
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_other/excel-crashes-restarts-a...

I have finally solved my problem, at least, my Excel sheet is working.  I just renamed the customized toolbar file (Excel.officeUI) and created it again from scratch. The print preview works fine, for now.  I don’t think the original was corrupted, as I have the same customized toolbar on my wife’s laptop and it has worked for years and stopped functioning correctly when mine did.  But, I took 30 minutes to re-create the toolbar and the screen print preview is working. It doesn’t tell us why this happened, but at least it’s not crashing and I have this key function back.  Stay tuned. We'll see if the fix holds....

Thanks for the update, fingers crossed

Thank you, i'll try that if renaming the tool bar doesn't work.

This kind of weird, but here is my story. After seeing the post about the custom toolbar i had my user create a new one. worked fine until she put the comment command in the toolbar. She removed at and it's working just like it should. I hope this helps someone out there. and thank you all for the advice and support

Worked for me too. Too bad this comes at the bottom of a long exchange. How did something like that get by the development team?

Removing the Insert Comment command from Quick Access Toolbar cured this issue for me as well.

I've had the same issue reported to me and have replicated the issue on my own laptop as well.

I have had to use the Microsoft Office removal tool to fully remove Office 365 from my laptop and then reinstall a fresh copy of Office 365 (64-bit) from the Office 365 site. This resolved the issue and I can now use the print preview full screen function without Excel crashing.