Excel Speak Cells

Copper Contributor

I know how to make excel speak my cells, so I can listen to it. However, I want to be able to type data in a different program at the same time while it is playing. Is that possible?

6 Replies

Hey Caitlin-

Hope you're doing well.  I can see some application for having Excel dictate cell values while you type in another program.  When I tested this out with word.  I was able to type in word while Excel read my cell values.  Is this something like what you want?  If so the below worked for me.

Sub Test()

'Speak values in cells A2 to A10 in 5 second intervals
    For x = 2 To 10
        With Application
            .Speech.Speak Range("A" & x) 'Speak the cell value
            .Wait (Now + TimeValue("0:00:05")) 'Wait 5 seconds to have time to type what Excel dicatates
        End With
    Next

End Sub

If not, it sounds like you may be using some sort of screen reader.  I'm not familiar with this technology so I'll have to defer in this case.

I am using a double monitor if that makes a difference. I am trying to type values into an internet program on one computer while the other computer reads the excel values. Is that possible?

Thanks

Hey Caitlin-

I have two monitors in my environment as well.  It seems to work perfectly fine for me.  I am actually typing in this internet form while testing right now.  No issues.  Still reading them aloud.

I think I figured it out. Thank you!!!

Actually, I'm having issues again. Everytime I click out of excel it stops speaking. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Hey Caitlin-

Unfortunately, I'm not really sure. I can click in and out of Excel into Chrome without issue. Can you provide more information on your scenario, perhaps another community member will be able to help out or the below information may make something stick out.

Some relevant items may be:

Windows Version:
Excel Version:
VBA Code you are using:
Mockup Workbook Data to assist with testing:
Web Browser:
Web Application/URL: