Excel Pivot Table Data Refresh Taking Over 10 Minutes

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I have recently been having an issue with the Pivot Table data refresh feature.

We have a "Stock Master" Microsoft Excel Worksheet(.xlsx) that our "Stock Available" Microsoft Excel Worksheet(.xlsx) pulls data from, and filters any stock that hasn't been sold. Up until about 1 month ago this worked fine and took up to 2 minutes (on a very bad day) to refresh the data, usually within 15 seconds. However, recently this is taking on average 10 minutes for the data to refresh, nothing has changed on either spreadsheet and has worked with no issues for around 5 years. It also prevents me from using any other spreadsheet while it is doing this.

We are using office 2016 on our Windows 10 laptops, but i did notice that if i load the same spreadsheet on our old Vista PC running office 2007 that the data refresh works as quick as it used to.

If anybody could help me to resolve this it would be greatly appreciated, please let me know if you require any additional information.

Kind Regards,

Andrew

2 Replies

@AndrewWray 

I just joined because I was searching for an answer to the same problem you are having.  Have you heard anything?  I don't see any responses...   We have tried calling Excel directly... and I cannot find an answer.   The go-around I discovered is to leave all the files you are linking to open and then refresh your file with the pivot table.  It works fine then... but is a complete nuisance to have so many files open!

@88Pelicans unfortunately i have had no response/help with this from the community or from Microsoft. The only solution i have is to use the older excel software (as per my original post). What i don't understand is that this worked fine (even on the current software) up until a few months ago, i can only assume Microsoft did a software update that changed something. If i get time i may see if its possible to reverse some of the updates and see if that helps, but i think its bad form on Microsofts part to create a problem and then leave it to their customer to create a "fix" for it.