SOLVED

Excel Notes

Copper Contributor

We have an Excel spreadsheet that lives in One Drive.   For a long time now we have been able to make comments in the cells.   Seems MS has created a beta for a new "threaded comment" in June 2018 or so and rolled it live without fanfare over the past few weeks.    In the process all of my existing comments became threaded comments and we can't properly save additions to those comments.   Now they say "insert note" will be the equivalent of the old unthreaded comment yet I can't find "insert note" in One Drive or in any of the computers using that spreadsheet.      All computers have say they have the most recent version of Office 365.  I am seeking answers to two questions.  1) How do I insert a note now (the equivalent of the old unthreaded comment)? 2) How do I convert my newly threaded comments to the new note?  Can anyone please help?

6 Replies
best response confirmed by MattK (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Matt,

Notes are here

image.png

Lot of information is here https://peltiertech.com/threaded-comments-in-excel/

Not sure if conversion is possible.

Sergei...   Very informative answer but unfortunately I cant seem to find that on my ribbon nor do I have the option to add it.    What am I doing wrong here???  Thank you in advance.

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

Hi Matt,

This feature is still beta, and it's only available to a portion of Office Insiders at this time.

We expect the general availability of this feature soon.

For more information, please read this article.

Regards,

Haytham

Any idea why I seem to have a partial beta?    I have the threaded comment but NOT the note.    

Functionality was implemented step by step (Threaded comments, based on feedback Notes were added; after that mentions).

Deployment is also gradual and depends on application. For example I have full functionality for Excel and partial one for Word. Currently it is deploying for Monthly Channel and it takes time to switch on for all tenants.

I think it's coming, but you may open support ticket to be sure. Or ask the same on answers.microsoft.com, they are more close to support.

So basically...    Microsoft's Buggy Code Monkeys strike again!   Thanks to the both of you for trying to help anyway.      Make it a great day

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by MattK (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Matt,

Notes are here

image.png

Lot of information is here https://peltiertech.com/threaded-comments-in-excel/

Not sure if conversion is possible.

View solution in original post