SOLVED

Excel Mac - formula

Copper Contributor

Please help!

I have written a formula in a cell in excel (for Mac), but it does not return the value when I push enter after formula. It only remain formula, does not give the "sum" or answer in the cell. And I know the formula is correct from another document. It seems like something is "turned off" regards turning the formula in itself into the answer to the formula......

4 Replies
best response confirmed by johassa (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@johassa , if you see the formula, not calculation result, your cell is formatted as text. Apply General format to it.

@Sergei Baklan 

Thank you soooo much! :)

@johassa 

Occasionally I have the same issue, and believed it was caused by having a worksheet that was too complex. Recently, I discovered a fix from another user, which worked for me. You might try it, too.

Open the "Replace" dialog (on a Mac it is Ctrl-h) and put [=] (the equals sign) in the [Find what:] box, then put the equals sign [=] again in the [Replace with:] box. Then click on [Replace All].

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 4.22.53 PM.png

@FusionPilot 

That's not the complexity, that's prolongation of the same story. If you already generating formulas in text cells and after that format these cells to General (or any numbers related format), instead of activating formulas by F2,Enter on each cell (or writing them from scratch), Ctrl+H with replacing same content could be used.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by johassa (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@johassa , if you see the formula, not calculation result, your cell is formatted as text. Apply General format to it.

View solution in original post