Excel Import 32 bit vs 64 bit

Copper Contributor

I currently use the 32 bit excel, which I believe only allows use of 2gb or ram. This is extremely frustrating when working in large spreadsheets. I've requested from my IT department an upgrade to 64 bit. Their response is that our accounting system does not support the 64 bit. 

My question is how would a separate system be effected by the use of 64 bit vs 32 bit? I understand an add-in needing a certain excel version but would exporting reports from our accounting system to csv. or xls. be effected by 32 vs 64 bit excel? Wouldn't I be able to export a report to csv. then open in excel no matter the version?

1 Reply

Hi @Brad Fretti

Your Windows Operating System (O/S) may be a limiting factor as 32 bit O/S can only handle up to just under 4GB memory. It may be that your O/S is 32 bit and upgrading to 64 bit is not possible due to the reasons your IT department has given.

Do you know what O/S version you are using? Check for the Computer Properties to see if it's 32 bit or 64 bit.

In terms of 64 bit vs 32 bit Microsoft Office versions, here's a Microsoft article which may help:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/choose-between-the-64-bit-or-32-bit-version-of-office-2dee7...

In answer to your question about CSV, your version of Excel would not matter as CSV is a text file comma, or TAB delimited.

As I say, the limiting factor might be your Windows O/S. 

Either way, all the best with your endeavours with this!

Cheers

Damien