Excel Help with Formatting

Copper Contributor

I want to know how to format a cell to add in a check mark by double clicking on the square.  I saw this in the "Bill Paying Checklist" template.  It is in the "Done" column on the attached spreadsheet template.  I would like to create the exact same checkmark with the exact same feature of double clicking a cell.  Because it is a template it wont show you how they formatted the column to do this and it won't let you copy and paste to a different sheet so I need help learning how to do it on my own because I would like to use this feature on other Excel spreadsheets that I create.  I have attached a copy of the template so that you can see what I am looking to be able to do.  Thank you for your help!

2 Replies

@RanchersWife ,

That is conditional formatting rule used here which shows the icon if cell value is greater than zero.

image.png

with Show Icon Only option

image.png

If you are not familiar with conditional formatting in general just google for that, lot of materials with samples are on web.

I do not see the double-click behavior you describe in the template.  The conditional formatting is based on a number being entered in the spreadsheet in that cell where you want the check box displayed.  After a 1 is entered the conditional formatting is applied.  I'd like to know a way to accomplish what you are seeking (without VBA), but I don't think Excel enters anything ever just by double clicking a cell.

BTW, if you download the Excel Workbook and enable editing, you should be able to see and do whatever you want with the workbook.@RanchersWife