Excel Help Does Not Work

Brass Contributor

When I'm in Excel, select F1 to bring up the help column on the side, and the select a subject, I get a drop down menu of sub-topics to choose from.  I select a sub-topic and click it, but the help never goes any further.  I don't get any info about the topic I selected.  The help function seems to be broken.

How do I fix this?

32 Replies

Hi Scott,

What version of Excel are you using? You can go to File > Account to check.

Is this the Help pane you see:

Excel_HelpPane_Intro.png

And if so, you're not able to get past that? Or do you see something different?

Excel 2016 build 1706.

And yes, that's exactly what my help looks like.

Correct.  When I select a topic, nothing happens.  I click on the search icon (magnifying glass) or hit enter, and nothing happens.  And, I just checked Word, I have the same problem there. 

I bought M/S Office 2016 Home and Business.

Hi Scott,

If you are in cell edit mode and press F1 the Help pane is locked, you can do nothing with it. It works only if you are not edit the cell.

Same for Smart lookup.

It was discussed here some ago, perhaps that's by design, don't remember the explanations. But i believe the issue shall be raised on user voice.

If "edit mode" means working within a cell, then no, I'm not in edit mode. I can bring up a brand new sheet with nothing on it at all and have the same result with Help. And, I have the same issue in Word, which I just discovered.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about using the search bar and selecting a topic from the drop down on a subject I'm interested in. When I click on that sub-topic, nothing happens in Word or Excel.

@Sergei Baklan wrote:

If you are in cell edit mode and press F1 the Help pane is locked, you can do nothing with it. It works only if you are not edit the cell.

Sergei,

That behavior is just the way Excel works. You can't do anything while you're in edit mode.

Thanks Scott,

I've let our Newsroom know about the issue. They manage escalating issues like this, and will forward it to the right people.

It will help if you can go to File > Account and let me know your build number. E.G. Version 1706 (Build 8229.2109 Click-to-Run)

Yes, but it looks like Scott has another issue.

If i understood correctly sub-topics like below don't work.

Sub-topics.JPG

@Scott Cox, that did you mean?

I'd try full repair, just few minutes job which destroys nothing.

Build 8229.2103. Auto-update.
If you accessed the above box via F1 and type the subject in the search box, then "yes." I will try the full repair.
Wait. How do I do a full repair? Is there an installer for all of Office or by product?

Nope, that's for entire O365 package.

Control panel -> Programs and Features -> find Microsoft Office 365... -> click Change on the top of the column -> Online Repair in appeared window. 

You may try Quick Repair first - it will be faster, without the downloading of entire package.

Actually, I'd hold off on a repair. I let our engineering folks know about it, and they're going to take a look. In the meantime, you can use Tell Me in any Office app (including web apps).

But for future reference, if you do want to Fix & Repair, go to Start > Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall > Microsoft Office > Change > Repair.

Will you get back to me with their solution?  Or will they contact me?

Thanks.

They might want to reach out to you directly. I'll let you know what they say.

My Windows Secrets newsletter has an article this very week on repairing Office apps here: https://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/get-more-from-microsoft-office/?utm_rid=CPNET000001627465&utm_...

What do you think of their ideas? I can send you a PDF of the article if that helps.

Those are pretty standard recommendations for fix & repair. I'd still hold off until I hear something from engineering. The tough thing for them is reproducing your issue, as the help pane works fine over here.

Hi Scott,

The engineer assigned the task couldn't reproduce your situation, so he asked if you can update Office. In any app, go to File > Account > Update options > Update now, to apply the latest. 

Let me know if that works. If not, we'll need to take some additional steps.

I'm now up to the current release, but the Help search issue is unresolved in both Word and Excel.