SOLVED

Excel Footer Character Limit

Copper Contributor

I have a footer which is well under the 250 character limit but I receive an error message that "the text string you entered is too long" when I bold a few words. Does anyone know why this happens? And is there something we can do to fix/work round this?

The character count is currently 129 and I have no header, I'm using rows repeated across pages for that.

6 Replies
best response confirmed by av_church (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hello @av_church,

Although not ideal, here is a workaround for that problem:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/inserting-long-text-footer-in-excel-2010/8cb6...

Hope this helps!
PReagan

@av_church This is due to the fact that making the word limit bold, behind the scenes changes the information in the header to:
&"Calibri,Bold"limit&"Calibri,Regular"
So instead of 5 characters, limit now contributes 38 characters to the header.

Thanks for the idea, I'll see what I can do with it @PReagan 

@Jan Karel Pieterse Thank's for explaining, looks like I will try the other suggestion of a picture with the text.

Holy crap, this was the problem all along! What is really weird is that it takes my bold & italicization when I use Calibri, but when I switch to Arial it triggers the limit. Why would a font name with less characters trigger it when Calibri does not? Is it just a default font setting I can change to unlock more characters when I use bold/italicize in my footers?

@Smizles If I open a new tab and enter the text 'test' as the left header, this is what the header actually contains: 'test'.

If I change the font of the header to -say- Arial, the header now contains:

'&"Arial,Regular"test'.

16 characters are added to the header, just by setting it to a Font  different from the default setting.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by av_church (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hello @av_church,

Although not ideal, here is a workaround for that problem:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/inserting-long-text-footer-in-excel-2010/8cb6...

Hope this helps!
PReagan

View solution in original post