Excel Community: Simplifying Spaces and Labels

Microsoft

Hi all,

As you may have noticed already, we as the Excel Team have done a bit of "spring/summer cleaning" for the community. We have received feedback that the number of "spaces" was simply too many at nine, so we have pared things down.

Now, there are three community spaces:

• Excel: this will be the primary place for posting content, as many of the old spaces have been migrated as labels will find a good home here
  • BI and Data Analysis: this will be a good place for posting about tasks and questions that cut across Excel, Power BI, and other topics in this realm
  • Resources and Community: this will increasingly become a place for folks to share sample files and templates with each other

Q: What happened to the other spaces that used to exist?

A: They have since been rolled up as "Labels", which you can find in the "More Resources" sidebar under "Labels" of any of the three spaces mentioned above. Look for these on the right side: 

Labels in the "More Resources" box on the right side of any space shows the other spaces that used to be off on their ownLabels in the "More Resources" box on the right side of any space shows the other spaces that used to be off on their own

Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks for reading!

25 Replies

It's better now!

Hey Blake-

I hope all is well.  I noticed this change yesterday.  It's nice to have a more concise number of spaces and I think this is a positive change, however I also noticed that in the process of spring cleaning you have killed a large number of content links, rendering them useless.  Is there any plan to reinstate these links or are they just a casualty?  This is very frustrating for community members that need to track content views.

Here are some dead links for reference:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Formulas-and-Functions/Fix-matrixes/m-p/208194/highlight/fals...

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Formulas-and-Functions/How-to-Return-Column-Data-Based-on-Mat...

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Formulas-and-Functions/si-conjunto-en-mac/m-p/217298/highligh...

Hi @Matt Mickle

Sorry that was a mistake on my behalf. I have fixed it now and those links are now working correctly.

Apologies.

Hi @Allen,

Thank you, is that only for links @Matt Mickle mentioned or you checked other as well? My impression there were more. However, not critical.

Hi @Sergei Baklan,

I have tested all links I could find and they appear to be working but if you have any that are not working please do let me know either via PM or on this thread and I will investigate.

@Allen, if they were I lost them. I remember there were a lot of tabs in my browser with incorrect links, closed them all without saving the links.

By the way, after your correction Space tab shows all posts as unread

image.png

at the same time there are no such in the list of conversations below spaces tiles and RSS feed shows nothing unread as well.

Yeah that's expected behaviour, when you move posts to a new board the 'read' marker is reset and that's why we do not do this very often.

RSS will need to be updated to use the link for the general excel board, if you can then get your RSS reader to filter based on labels on the posts then you will be able to narrow it down to areas your especially interested in, but that will depend on which rss reader you use.

The only other option is to use the links mentioned in the post above and subscribe to the label. you will then get an email update on posts with matching labels.
Hello, give me error "There are one or more circular references where a formula refers to its own cell either directly or indirectly. This might cause them to calculate incorrectly. Try removing or changing these references, or moving the formulas to different cells." and after accepting the contents of the file does not open. Please help me with this.

@Deleted, that is separate topic and you have more chances to receive an answer if start new conversation with it in Excel space.

@Allen, thank you for the clarification. As for labels perhaps I don't know how to cook them - if subscribe on email I have tons of them every day and it's hard to follow.

In the Conversations with Label list are only subjects which usually not informative, like "Need help".

RSS is most preferable way for me to follow conversations here, so far it works well.

@Sergei Baklan

Understood, you can actually change how email subscriptions are received by using the settings in your profile, see here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-subscriptions:notification-settin...

You can have immediate, daily summaries, weekly summaries or monthly summaries. The default for subscribed labels is Weekly Summaries but you might want to change that. 

Excuse me @Sergei Baklan Thanks for the Suggestion

Regards

Thanks for the quick fix.  Appreciate it!

This explains why one day I logged in and things were missing. Figured you guys did this to streamline the forums. Good stuff!

@Eric Starker, do you know why notification about your post appeared in my feed right now even if you posted couple of days ago?

image.png

@Sergei Baklan: I moved the post today, but I left a placeholder, so the placeholder is still dated Friday, the date of the original message that got moved. I also responded today.

I see, thank you!