SOLVED

Excel Combo Graph

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to create a combo graph with a bar graph for one series and a line graph for another stacked on top. I want the first series (blue) to be horizontally graphed like so: pic 1.png

but I want the second series (orange) to be a vertical line or even scattered points. Every time I try to convert one series to a line graph, the axis switches: pic 2.png

And when I try to switch it back I get something like this: 

pic 3.png

5 Replies

@Torifox43 , if you mean something like this

image.png

1) Change orange series to Scatter type

2) Add helper column to your data (before names here)

3) Right click on chart, Select Data, Edit series B (scatter), select B column as X and helper column as Y

4) disable secondary vertical axis

@Sergei Baklan Yes, that's exactly what I want, but I'm having trouble following. I added the helper column, but am I supposed to include it when inserting the graph?

Capture2.PNG

Either way, if I include it or don't, I'm not getting an option to select any x or y values, it just shows me this: 

Capture.PNG

best response confirmed by Torifox43 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Torifox43 ,

After you convert orange bar to scatter and Select Data for the resulting chart it looks like

image.png

Here click on Edit Scatter series (B), you'll see something like

image.png

Here change X and Y values:

image.png

All these steps are in the file I attached to previous post.

@Sergei Baklan Thank you so much! The only problem I'm having now is that the scatterplot isn't matching up perfectly with the bar graph. Is there a way to correct this? I tried doing it with the bounds- but this is as close as I could get it 

Capture.PNG

@Torifox43 

Please try as following - enable secondary vertical axis

image.png

click on it to format and here change default minimum value on 0.5 (instead of zero). Major unit shall be 1 by default (otherwise change on 1), maximum will go on 6.5 in my case

image.png

Now disable secondary vertical axis, finally it'll be like

image.png

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Torifox43 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Torifox43 ,

After you convert orange bar to scatter and Select Data for the resulting chart it looks like

image.png

Here click on Edit Scatter series (B), you'll see something like

image.png

Here change X and Y values:

image.png

All these steps are in the file I attached to previous post.

View solution in original post